Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long do you give a spot before moving?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How long do you give a spot before moving?

How long do you give a spot before moving to a new location?
    What factors lead to your decision to move?

The hardest part is leaving a spot where you caught fish to see if you can catch fish someplace else.
    So, why do you leave?
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

10 minutes, a friend of mine Ranger09 says don't beg them to bite!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

I move continually all day, I may come back to the same spot numerous times, but my trolling motor is always on the move. About the only time I sit in one spot is when anchored up at night. I like to fish an area from every angle, pick it apart, and then move on.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    I move continually all day, I may come back to the same spot numerous times, but my trolling motor is always on the move. About the only time I sit in one spot is when anchored up at night. I like to fish an area from every angle, pick it apart, and then move on.
    X1. Since I don't night fish, I never drop anchor. Like the quote above, pick it apart, then head to the next one.
    Future member of any forum deathb4disco moderates.

Member of Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I spider rig so I am slowly moveing all the time, but if the area is not produceing fish like I want after 20-30 minutes slow trolling....I move to another area.
    Last edited by "G"; 01-10-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Typically when crappie are hitting as soon as you pull up they will hit. I give them about 3-4 minutes and I am gone. but knowing your matts is a big factor for me. Some matts i expect to catch 3-5 fish, as i have done it before. Some matts usually only 1 is their history. Knowing your matts is a key for me. I figure if i can fish 60 matts in 6-7 hours and average 1 fish per matt. that is a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Well it's according if I'm by myself or with the wife. If she gets one bite we maybe in that spot a while. If they don't bite pretty quick I will leave but will come back.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2019 Yamaha 90

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sls View Post
    Typically when crappie are hitting as soon as you pull up they will hit. I give them about 3-4 minutes and I am gone. but knowing your matts is a big factor for me. Some matts i expect to catch 3-5 fish, as i have done it before. Some matts usually only 1 is their history. Knowing your matts is a key for me. I figure if i can fish 60 matts in 6-7 hours and average 1 fish per matt. that is a good day
    Sorry for the stupid question, but what is a matt? I have not heard that term before

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting more spots one the lake I fish but have been known to fish a spot for a hour or more at a time. I don't like spending lots of money for gas chasing fish.
    Lets go soak a line. Pat

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibcamn View Post
    Sorry for the stupid question, but what is a matt? I have not heard that term before
    According to the Glossary (in the Archives forum), a "matt" is :

"Brush Pile - Trees or bushes placed under water to provide cover for fish. Also referred to as "Cribs", "Tops", "Mats" and "Trash". Usually placed for the purpose of concentrating fish so they can be found by anglers but can also provide Habitat."

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast