Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weedless?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weedless?

I have had a couple rubber type weed guards given to me for jig heads that you actually slip on before the plastic lure and then attach the back of it to the barb. Does anyone know what these are called and where to buy them?
    We sell a large selection of marine electronics... Humminbird, Lowrance, Garmin, Minn Kota and Motorguide products along with Boating and Fishing Accessories.
    DJs Marine Electronics where quality and customer satisfaction are #1 423/290-5472

http://www.djs-marine.com

Post Thanks / Like

nope...but go to the ohio threads and look at the weedless heads a fella by the handle of night prowler makes, they are nice

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

"Hook Guard for Weedless Lures" at Bass Pro.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2019 Yamaha 90

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly what i was looking for slabjammer, thanks
    We sell a large selection of marine electronics... Humminbird, Lowrance, Garmin, Minn Kota and Motorguide products along with Boating and Fishing Accessories.
    DJs Marine Electronics where quality and customer satisfaction are #1 423/290-5472

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

DJ ... there was another similar product out there (Laker Stick Guard). I've probably still got some in my tackle, and I've used them before. I wasn't real thrilled with them, which is why I quit using them. Two problems that I had with them, were :

they tore easily, where the hook enters ... rendering them useless after only a few fish.
    they were soft, and therefore bent easily ... allowing the hook point to come into contact with objects the jig was being pulled over.

I went to weedless jigheads, first using Oldham's "Sure-Lock" weedless jigheads .. then to the custom made Y guard jighead by Grousefly ... and haven't looked back. I originated the use of the Y guard, through Grousefly, as I was not a fan of the brush fibers style weed guard. And while the Y guard is still my preferred weedguard, I've since come to successfully use the fiber brush style, as well.

Another "supposed" weedless trick, is to use dental (braces) rubber bands ... slipping one end around the jig's line eye, and the other end behind the hook barb. Sounds good in theory, but doesn't work well with smaller jig sizes in my personal experiences.

While I did use Oldham's Sure-Lock weedless jigheads for many years, successfully ... one of the downsides to them was the weedguard itself. It was a thin wire loop, that slipped under the hook barb. And, not only did it easily get bent out of shape, but it also had to be placed back under the barb often ... as it often "tripped" while being dragged through brush. They have since been discontinued being manufactured by Oldham's, in favor of the larger "Bass" size versions. But, just a year or so prior to the discontinuation of the Oldham's, I contacted Grousefly about reproducing a weedless jighead that I had purchased from a local source. That source had dried up several years prior, but I still had one of these (Y guard jigheads) left lying around. I had successfully used them for several years, prior to starting using the Oldham's. I had only purchased about a dozen of these jigheads, and seeing as how they had lasted me for so long ... and the increasing price of the Oldham's ... I was looking for a custom jig maker to reproduce them. Grousefly was one of the sponsoring contributors to the former Spring Fling/Fall Brawl Crappie.com Tourney series that I helped start/run ... so I contacted him, and the rest (as they say) is history. They became popular enough that other custom jig makers also started making/carrying them.

Sorry for the long winded story , but I said all that to say this : a jig, that is "built" weedless, works better, lasts longer, and is less hassle to deal with than a jig that has to have an added accessory put on it to make it weedless.

Now, some will say ... "well, that's all well & good for a jighead/plastics combo, but what about a hair/feather jig ?? These "add-on" guards take care of that style of jig". To which I say ... while that may be true, it's also true that hair/feather jigs can also be made with a weedguard !! And, again, you're not constantly having to put a guard on, or resetting it, instead of simply casting/dropping it back into the water !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting story and good information, thanks for everyones input.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    DJ ... there was another similar product out there (Laker Stick Guard). I've probably still got some in my tackle, and I've used them before. I wasn't real thrilled with them, which is why I quit using them. Two problems that I had with them, were :

they tore easily, where the hook enters ... rendering them useless after only a few fish.
    they were soft, and therefore bent easily ... allowing the hook point to come into contact with objects the jig was being pulled over.

I went to weedless jigheads, first using Oldham's "Sure-Lock" weedless jigheads .. then to the custom made Y guard jighead by Grousefly ... and haven't looked back. I originated the use of the Y guard, through Grousefly, as I was not a fan of the brush fibers style weed guard. And while the Y guard is still my preferred weedguard, I've since come to successfully use the fiber brush style, as well.

Another "supposed" weedless trick, is to use dental (braces) rubber bands ... slipping one end around the jig's line eye, and the other end behind the hook barb. Sounds good in theory, but doesn't work well with smaller jig sizes in my personal experiences.

While I did use Oldham's Sure-Lock weedless jigheads for many years, successfully ... one of the downsides to them was the weedguard itself. It was a thin wire loop, that slipped under the hook barb. And, not only did it easily get bent out of shape, but it also had to be placed back under the barb often ... as it often "tripped" while being dragged through brush. They have since been discontinued being manufactured by Oldham's, in favor of the larger "Bass" size versions. But, just a year or so prior to the discontinuation of the Oldham's, I contacted Grousefly about reproducing a weedless jighead that I had purchased from a local source. That source had dried up several years prior, but I still had one of these (Y guard jigheads) left lying around. I had successfully used them for several years, prior to starting using the Oldham's. I had only purchased about a dozen of these jigheads, and seeing as how they had lasted me for so long ... and the increasing price of the Oldham's ... I was looking for a custom jig maker to reproduce them. Grousefly was one of the sponsoring contributors to the former Spring Fling/Fall Brawl Crappie.com Tourney series that I helped start/run ... so I contacted him, and the rest (as they say) is history. They became popular enough that other custom jig makers also started making/carrying them.

Sorry for the long winded story , but I said all that to say this : a jig, that is "built" weedless, works better, lasts longer, and is less hassle to deal with than a jig that has to have an added accessory put on it to make it weedless.

Now, some will say ... "well, that's all well & good for a jighead/plastics combo, but what about a hair/feather jig ?? These "add-on" guards take care of that style of jig". To which I say ... while that may be true, it's also true that hair/feather jigs can also be made with a weedguard !! And, again, you're not constantly having to put a guard on, or resetting it, instead of simply casting/dropping it back into the water !!

... cp
    would you be able to post a link to these jigs????? im tired of loosing mine!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chucktx View Post
    would you be able to post a link to these jigs????? im tired of loosing mine!!
    No problem, Chuck ...

PM - Grousefly
    email - [email protected]
    Ph# - 606 642 3167

His name is Paul Mullins ... P&S Custom Tackle ... Vicco, Ky

He can custom make pretty much any jig configuration you need. What I had him make for me was 1/32 & 1/16oz ballhead jigheads, unpainted, with #2 gold Aberdeen hooks ... some with the fiber brush guards & some with the Y-guard.

This is what they look like :

(sorry about the fuzzy pic, it was done on a flatbed scanner)

Pictured is the clear fiber brush & black Y guards ... the Y guard is available in clear, also.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

that is great pappy!! thanks so much!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The ones I have are called "Stic Guard" by Eagle Claw tackle. I think that is the way it's spelled ! I have used them and they do help and don't seem to hinder the hook up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast