PDA

View Full Version : Crappie Rod

DJs Marine
01-10-2013, 07:06 PM
I am just beginning to enter the world of crappie fishing after being a long time bass hunter. What rods would you guys recommend for a good crappie rod? Brand, length, action, etc.? I don't think my 6' MH rods are going to do the trick.

Thanks for your rsponses in advance!

Johnny

Hookin'&Cookin'
01-10-2013, 07:17 PM
B'nM' no matter how you like to fish for'm they got the right rod. Welcome to the site enjoy your stay, lot's of good people and info here.

deathb4disco
01-10-2013, 07:25 PM
What rods would you guys recommend for a good crappie rod?

1) What's your budget?

2) What type fishing will you be doing? Trolling? Casting? Vertical jigging?

Hookedonslabs
01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
b'nm' no matter how you like to fish for'm they got the right rod. Welcome to the site enjoy your stay, lot's of good people and info here.
x2

DJs Marine
01-10-2013, 08:47 PM
1) What's your budget?

2) What type fishing will you be doing? Trolling? Casting? Vertical jigging?

Casting and vertical I think to begin with, budget? No budget really, just as much bang for the buck as i can get.

"G"
01-10-2013, 09:00 PM
A 11 or 12 ft. B'nM Sam Heaton would be a good one for what you want to do.

DJs Marine
01-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Are we talking M, ML, L or UL action or does it really matter?

Locator79
01-10-2013, 09:08 PM
7' light action spinning rod, mid sized reel of your choice, light line. Good all around combo, I like St. Croix rods and Shimano or Abu reels, but everybody likes something different. I would suggest a 11' jig pole as well.

jeepguyjames
01-10-2013, 09:14 PM
casting jigs get the best st croix you can swing in either light or med light, fast or extra fast action. 6'10 or 7ft is what i like.....go put your hands on em and see what fels good

"G"
01-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Are we talking M, ML, L or UL action or does it really matter?

The B'nM jig poles come by length.....not action. The pole that I told you about is a good one for vertical jiging

MEATGETTER
01-10-2013, 10:04 PM
if your going to jig fish or spiderrig can't beat the new ozarks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CrappiePappy
01-11-2013, 03:03 AM
Seeing as how you've been a long time Bass hunter, you're likely to be more familiar with casting techniques/methods. Many of those can be successfully utilized for Crappie fishing. But, as you say ... a 6' MH outfit is a bit of overkill.
What I would suggest is to simply take your Bass fishing skills, and the brands you favor (in equipment) & simply downsize accordingly.
Casting .... 6-8ft rod with spinning reel to balance, 4-8lb test line ... 1/32 - 1/8oz jigs
Vertical jigging ... 9-12ft rod with spinning reel to balance, 6-10lb test line.

Rods can be Lite to Med Lite action, fast taper tips or parabolic bend (personal preference), and IM6 or IM7 graphite. Match your outfits to easily handle the biggest Crappie you can expect to catch, even if it's overkill for the majority of what you "do" catch. Once you get in the habit of catching Crappie with these methods, you can always expand your arsenal, as well as downsize even more ... should you so desire.

Just think of the Crappie as slightly less fighters than a Bass of equal weight, and choose your equipment accordingly ... with the idea in mind that you're also very likely to catch larger species, while targeting Crappie.

Also bare in mind that the best equipment, in the hands of a poorly educated angler, stands little chance of being as successful as a highly educated angler with substandard equipment. And, by "educated" I mean knowing & understanding the habits & habitats of the species sought after.

I can tell you what I use, but that may not be the best advice in your case. (ie - what feels good/works good in my hands, doesn't necessarily translate to what would work for you) But, IMHO ... if you want the "best bang for the buck", look at the upper middle portion of the major brand's models for a starting point. Then mix & match until you find a rod/reel outfit that suits you, and is well balanced. That may require going somewhere where you can handle a lot of rods & reels, but if you intend to spend good money on them ... the trip would be worth your while.

Welcome to Crappie.com :ThumbsUp

... cp :kewl

Greenwing
01-11-2013, 09:53 AM
I cast 1/16 to 1/8 jigs 99% of the time. My favorite rod is a St. Croix 7ft. Med light. I have a tried several different lengths and actions I always go back to this one.

eagle 1
01-11-2013, 09:57 AM

:hesaid , I PERFER THE REAR SEAT BUT EITHER ONE IS A GOOD ROD . THE 11 FT IS MY FIRST CHOICE . THE 10 FT DOESN'T MAKE A GOOD BREAM POLE IF YOU BREAK IT AND THE 12 FEELS A LITTLE DIFFERENT (LIMBER) TO ME .:twocents

DJs Marine
01-11-2013, 07:28 PM
All very good information and I think I have a good idea what to try. I will let you know what I end up with, thanks for all the replies!

txtider
01-13-2013, 02:28 AM
If you have some dropshot rods ml they will do you good 7 1/2 is my favorite . During the spawn I use 10 ft pro angler or bnm for reaching into cattails .

JTMavs
01-14-2013, 08:43 PM
B n M Sam Heaton is a very good and affordable all around rod! If you like ultra light, try the dock shooter.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
01-14-2013, 09:24 PM
a 11 or 12 ft. B'nm sam heaton would be a good one for what you want to do.

x2