Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Question...

Gary Harlan Guest

Question Trolling Question...

This may be taboo to talk about but I am curious...What size weights do you use to troll with and what kind of setups on the sprider rigs do you use?
    weight on the bottom?
    middle?
    number of lures?

Post Thanks / Like

When I do slow troll, I use a 3/8 oz. egg sinker 18-24" above a single minnow or jig hook. The rodholders I purchased from Grizzly Jig Co. What I do different than anyone I've ever seen is I still use a slip float with bobber stop to identify depth and as a strike indicator. Granted, the weight will sink the float, but you just reel up til the float is at the top of the water.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently using a 3" bobber, 6' up with jig on the bottom and weight 12-18" up from that. I use the removable weights so I can add or take off according to the depth I want to maintain according to the speed I'm trolling. Speed might be anywhere from .1 to 1.5 mph. The bobber depth often varies too. Whatever they want I try to give them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

In the Winter edition 2001 (pg 36) there is article on vertical jigging and trolling. In that article goes to some detail about rod length and action (7 1/2 foot light action in front of boat and 6 foot light action in back). Using Berkley Fireline mark the line with waterproof marker make a mark at 30 feet. Two marks at 42 feet and three marks at 54 feet. At a speed of 1 mph a 1/8 ounce jig will run 12 to 13 feet with the double marks at the rod tip. With triple marks at the rod tip lure runs 15 to 16 feet. To go deeper tie on 1/16 ounce jig. Uses no bobber.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

I was using 1/4 oz but switched over to the larger 3/8 oz BPS Finesse Drop shot weights. And the weight goes on the end of the line with the jig tied to the main line with a palomar knot about 12 to 18" above the weight. I just tie the jig onto the end of the line with that knot and then leave a long tag line. Then I slip the finesse drop shot weight on the end of the tag line. Sometimes I tie a simple overhand knot on the very end of the tag line to help keep the drop shot weight on the line.

Last time I went fishing at Patoka Lake I must have lost 10 bucks worth of drop shot weights. I didn't lose my new teezur jig head though.

I need to find out how to get some of those back issues. Anyone know where they are sold of if they are still sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger375
    In the Winter edition 2001 (pg 36) there is article on vertical jigging and trolling. In that article goes to some detail about rod length and action (7 1/2 foot light action in front of boat and 6 foot light action in back). Using Berkley Fireline mark the line with waterproof marker make a mark at 30 feet. Two marks at 42 feet and three marks at 54 feet. At a speed of 1 mph a 1/8 ounce jig will run 12 to 13 feet with the double marks at the rod tip. With triple marks at the rod tip lure runs 15 to 16 feet. To go deeper tie on 1/16 ounce jig. Uses no bobber.
    Last edited by Moose1am; 12-01-2004 at 06:40 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie World
    Business Office
    15115 S. 76th E. Ave
    Bixby, OK 74008
    918 366-6191
    Ranger375
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ranger

Crappie World
    Business Office
    15115 S. 76th E. Ave
    Bixby, OK 74008
    918 366-6191
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Gary...See that you are the newest member to the board. Let me Welcome you and hope come back frequently. Some really great knowledgeable crappie fisherpeople and they are always willing to help out.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the hint

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris
    When I do slow troll, I use a 3/8 oz. egg sinker 18-24" above a single minnow or jig hook. The rodholders I purchased from Grizzly Jig Co. What I do different than anyone I've ever seen is I still use a slip float with bobber stop to identify depth and as a strike indicator. Granted, the weight will sink the float, but you just reel up til the float is at the top of the water.
    I will try this. After all these years, why I never thought of this is beyond me. lol...
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Gary Harlan Guest

Default Thanks for all the responses & ideas

Gary...See that you are the newest member to the board. Let me Welcome you and hope come back frequently. Some really great knowledgeable crappie fisherpeople and they are always willing to help out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast