Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good UL Spinning Reel?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good UL Spinning Reel?

I have 3 combos set up for panfish. Two rods are 7' with BPS Enticer reels. I use these for live bait fishing and they don't get worked as much as my other reel.

The third combo is a 6'6" UL rod and Gander Mt. UL reel. I use this combo for jigging and crankn' tiny lures and spinners. The reel took a big dump on me this AM. The bail closed, and it locked up. I took it apart, and the bail is junk.
    The reel was $20 or so, and paid for itself but I'd like something a little better.

Give me a few lower dollar UL reels that you guys like for lots of work.

I'm thinking Shimano Sidestab or Solstace 1000 size...or a Quantum Xtra-Lite.

Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Quantum Optix op10f front drag, or shimano TX1000FA front drag. Either of these are a great reel for around $20.00, and are very dependable.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

The Mitchell Avocet AV-500 UL is a very good reel. Normally retails for around $24.00.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I'll go around $25-$35 for a reel. I'd go more, but the rod is a Quantum UL and was $25.

I hate to put a $50+ reel on a $25 rod.

I found a good deal on a Pflueger UL Micro model 4410. Anyone have any comments on Pflueger reels?

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent reels. I like their UL rods too.

Post Thanks / Like

The reels that are above are great reels. You might also want to try BRS wally signature series reels. Cheap and really smooth.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I am having a blast with my Shakespeare Microspin that I bought at Walmart for less than $19. It's only a 5' rod but with the four lb test line I have on it, it's great to work jigs with. I own two of them and saw them on the shelve at walmart yesterday, almost bought another one, it was hard to walk away.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I use the cheapest ones I can find. I've got 5 UL's, 5 diff. brands. They all work great and I haven't spent over $13 on any single one. I prefer to spend more on the rods.

Post Thanks / Like

We have Mitchell Avocet UL reels. I can tell you that I have had fewer problems with the $30 "gold" version with its seven bearings than the regular ones with 3 bearings. The cheaper Avocets can be purchased at WalMart and KMart, but I bought my gold from BPS.

I wore out the line roller on the Shimano UL (don't remember what model) I had after one year's use and the bail spring broke on my old Wally Marshall UL from BPS. That one was a realw orkhorse and I landed everything from bluegill to eight pound cats on it. It had two features though, that I wasn't crazy about - it had a "catch" on a real slow retrieve and it has a quarter turn give on the anti-reverse, whcih I'm sure cost me some fish. The Avocet's anti-reverse is immediate. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

This is my ideal ultralite reel.

Large spool capicty = Less line tangles
    Instant anti reverse. Most reels today have this feature.
    4.8 or greater ratio.
    Smooth drag.
    Light Weight.

These things I have found in the Diawa Hardbodyz line of reels. I have several now and am extremly happy with them. They aren't top of the line as they were about fifty bucks each, but are very smooth and dependable reels. When I purchased my first one, I knew it was going to be a throw away reel when something broke. After three years it's still going strong with no signs of fatigue. I fish alot and would have gone through three $20 Xmart reels since then.

Whoever said about putting a fifty dollar reel on a twenty five dollar rod might want to rethink your pholophsy. Your reel is no less important than anything else in your gear. We buy chemically sharpened hooks, the latest in line improvments, plus five dollar+ lures in our quest to catch fish. The reel is every much as imporant as any other part of your gear. I would skimp on the rod long before i'll buy a cheap reel. Plus salt guys are buying $500 dollar Van Stall's and putting them on $300 dollar or less rods.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, Just think about it. You don't buy a Lamborgini and put cheap tires on it.

My 02.

BB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast