Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trying out the "other" side...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trying out the "other" side...

Crappies and panfish are my passion but each late fall, winter and early spring I get nudged into old habits, like walleye/sauger fishing. I love the cold water plastic bite these fish offer during this period. There is nothing like the rock-hard thump of a walleye hitting a jig with a plastic hung on it.

I have had an eye on a Jacobs mold for a while and finally have the likes of such in my hot little mitts. It arrived this morning. It didn't take long for me to blow out some plastic in several color patterns.

This is his 3" paddletailed worm. I had some samples last fall and the crappies went bonkers for the bait and when shortened an inch even larger sunfish nailed it. But what I wanted it for more than anything was the late fall, winter and early spring walleye bit in cold water. This bait was a trooper in the waldo department for me late in the fall. I wanted to try it on smallies but the wather and other things jumped up and said no, no. I have an early crappie spot that always has hungry smallies and in a month and a half I'll be on shore pitching these to see what the red eyes think of them.

This mold shoots pretty darned easy and two-color shotd are a snap....one of the easiest molds I have used to do two-color adaptations. While I don't have a blending block but I can see this bait as one that would be an easy shoot or maybe by using a twin-injector to get the color split. I suppose cutting and re-inserting a top or bottom haf might be done but I'll stick with the tail colors for now. 3

In case you can't tell, I already love this mold.

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CTom View Post
    Crappies and panfish are my passion but each late fall, winter and early spring I get nudged into old habits, like walleye/sauger fishing. I love the cold water plastic bite these fish offer during this period. There is nothing like the rock-hard thump of a walleye hitting a jig with a plastic hung on it.

I have had an eye on a Jacobs mold for a while and finally have the likes of such in my hot little mitts. It arrived this morning. It didn't take long for me to blow out some plastic in several color patterns.

This is his 3" paddletailed worm. I had some samples last fall and the crappies went bonkers for the bait and when shortened an inch even larger sunfish nailed it. But what I wanted it for more than anything was the late fall, winter and early spring walleye bit in cold water. This bait was a trooper in the waldo department for me late in the fall. I wanted to try it on smallies but the wather and other things jumped up and said no, no. I have an early crappie spot that always has hungry smallies and in a month and a half I'll be on shore pitching these to see what the red eyes think of them.

This mold shoots pretty darned easy and two-color shotd are a snap....one of the easiest molds I have used to do two-color adaptations. While I don't have a blending block but I can see this bait as one that would be an easy shoot or maybe by using a twin-injector to get the color split. I suppose cutting and re-inserting a top or bottom haf might be done but I'll stick with the tail colors for now. 3

In case you can't tell, I already love this mold.
    you sure beat me to the punch on this mold we've been looking at it also for quite some time I'm glad it was something that you like excited to see what happens with the twin injector they should be awesome I do have the smaller version of that plastic bait made by Rick quite a while back I bought three molds or I should say four molds from micro spoons Keith.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

CTom - great looking baits!!!!!!!!! and don't feel bad about going after the sauger and walleye and smallies!!! Actually as thin as those are you could chop the end for a crappie jig and use the rest like a senko!!! Double duty!! gotta love it. Can't wait to see more!!!

Can't believe you beat Snake to it though!!!!!!!!LOL

Post Thanks / Like

There is a early spring walleye bite on a very pressured lake I fish crappie at. Those CTom plastics look like the Hoot, normally the walleyes only want crawlers some days or a leech on others.......
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat View Post
    There is a early spring walleye bite on a very pressured lake I fish crappie at. Those CTom plastics look like the Hoot, normally the walleyes only want crawlers some days or a leech on others.......
    Walleyes and plastic is a relationship that definitely grows fonder as the water temps drop. Between the water temps coming down to 50 degrees in the fall until the water temps reach 50 degrees the following spring is prime-time here for plastics. At the height of winter with the water temps mostly in the 34 to 36 degree range in the Mississippi River, we see the best of the best plastics bites ever. More fish fall to plastics during the dead of winter while boat fishing than any other bait. Its cold then in a boat....colder than being on ice at the same air temperature. BUT....catching the fish is easier by ten fold and the size of the fish is such that if a record is going to be found it will come during this period.

I have access to a couple paddletailed baits of similar lengths locally, one being a ribbed body unit, but they are so much bigger. They take a ton of fish yes, but this worm has a whole lot more utility than those two do and it will catch fish as well if not better than those others. I have fished a bait very nearly the same as this one and had outstanding luck with it. The problem I have with that one bait is that I have to mail order it which drives the cost up and I am not entirely satisfied with the colors. The big river's fish become pretty color specific at times and I can make a color the day I find out about it and fish it the next. An I can do that a whole heck of a lot cheaper than buying over the internet.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool lookin paddles!

Post Thanks / Like

They taste good too.