Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another paint question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another paint question

Ok I have been a lurker for about a year, this is my first post as I couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for. I have been stippling poppers for years using acrylic and then spraying a clear. I bought a 1/32oz jig mold and have just been powder painting the heads and curing. My question is about the eyes. Everyone says just to put Sally's hard as nails on after eyes are painted on. If doing this do I still need to cure the powder paint? I'm also assuming you guys are coating the whole head. Is their a spray clear that works well with the powder paint? Thanks in advance.

Wes

Post Thanks / Like

Wes - if you've already cured the powder, and your using stick on or paint for the eyes just use the Sally Hansens you don't need to cure again.
    Likes canebreaker, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Wes - if you've already cured the powder, and your using stick on or paint for the eyes just use the Sally Hansens you don't need to cure again.

I was wondering if using a clear like Sally's I could skip the curing step. Or is there an epoxy clear that doesn't yellow that would allow skipping the cure?

Post Thanks / Like

Personnally if you're going to put the money out for powder cure it. Skip on some of the eyed jigs he does has a problem with Sally Hansons yellowing on white and chartreuse, I'd have to check if it's the green or yellow.

I've talked to several people who have used the one part epoxy from CS (Component Systems) and they really don't like it. I have a 2 part mix I get from Janns that I've used for years and really like, which I believe is also from CS. There's some Testors paint colors that I really liked useing and I would use a base white coat, then a coat of the color, then put the clear epoxy over the top to seal everything against plastics.

Having learned alot about mixing powders from the guys here, I've been able to duplicate the testors colors and don't use them anymore unless I put eyes on my jigs, then I would use the epoxy to cover them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Personnally if you're going to put the money out for powder cure it. Skip on some of the eyed jigs he does has a problem with Sally Hansons yellowing on white and chartreuse, I'd have to check if it's the green or yellow.

I've talked to several people who have used the one part epoxy from CS (Component Systems) and they really don't like it. I have a 2 part mix I get from Janns that I've used for years and really like, which I believe is also from CS. There's some Testors paint colors that I really liked useing and I would use a base white coat, then a coat of the color, then put the clear epoxy over the top to seal everything against plastics.

Having learned alot about mixing powders from the guys here, I've been able to duplicate the testors colors and don't use them anymore unless I put eyes on my jigs, then I would use the epoxy to cover them.

I don't put eyes on jigs tied for myself, a guy at work asked if I could make him a few with eyes after I made him some stippled poppers for a fly fishing outing. I started tying flies but its tough to get fly fishing time in with my boys not old enough yet but the oldest loves fishing with the spin rod so moving onto jig making.

litewirehooker is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't say these are perfect but the fish seem to like them. They are painted with rustolem paint .......After doting the second eye, I put in oven, turn to 400, set timer for 5 minutes, and take jigs out after 5 minutes......doubt the oven ever reaches that temp but this has worked for me for years. The jigs have already been cured......just heating the small eye.

Name:  PC230088.JPG
Views: 638
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  Round Heads.JPG
Views: 602
Size:  77.6 KB
    http://litewirehooks.com/
    [email protected]
    Every day you do not fish will be one day less you have to fish

Post Thanks / Like

Do you cure first eye color then second [pupil] or do both at the same time ? Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

So you dont use any type of clear coat ....like hard as nails ?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I cure mine then use the Testors to paint my eyes. Since I just do a few at a time for myself I let first cure over night then second color a couple of hours. Then I put mine in the oven at 150 for 20-30 minutes. They seem to hold up pretty good but think I'm going to try Litewire. His are really nice.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Wes, I don't use any clear coat at all, but I paint my eyes and let them dry overnight and then bake jigs to cure powdercoat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast