Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catching Crappie in HOT weather, huge lake?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Catching Crappie in HOT weather, huge lake?

Where to start with a question like this.:o

We are fishing in Smith Lake, North central Alabama. A HUGE lake with lot's of cuts n' valleys.

Where do we start learning to find these fish?
    In the shallows?
    Find some Deep water?
    The old stream beds or valleys?

I've been told that the brght Green jigs are good in the winter. Where they work, he didn't say.
    If Green is good in the winter, is it also good in the hot days of July and August?

Gimmie yer best advice.....and I might use some of it!
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Check at the points and any submerged timber in deeper water. I grew up fishing on Cave Run lake here in Kentucky and that is what seemed to work the best for us. Hope this helps good luck to ya.
    Hope your lines stay wet and your livewells full.:D

Post Thanks / Like

man made or natural structure in or close to the main creek channel. I hope this helps!
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Hot water crappie

Well then....two experts agree, I should be looking for structure, deep, near a point.

So I'm going to assume 'deep' means 20 to 40 feet of water.
    Structure, would be a Rock outcropping, of something similar.
    My Fish finder probably wont show me a Tree, or a bunch of rip-rap. It would all look like bottom.

Will I be using Jigs or Minnows?

If it's Minnows, then a Jig of White or bright Gray should also work.
    Small spoons too.
    How about the Spinner baits? Do they work way down deep?

Another question on the 'Bite'. Should I set the hook as soon as I feel the bite?
    Some Bass fishermen say to let the Bass have a little line before you set the hook if you are using plastic. Are Crappie the same?

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

tight line just above the fish . if you feel something set the hook . not like a bass or you might rip it out of a crappie n`s mouth . just a soft steady pull and no slack line
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

From my one and only trip over to that part of the world...
    I'd say you'd better learn how to shoot docks
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a gps? Alabama Power, through its Habitat Enhancement program, has put hundreds of Christmas trees into Smith Lake and records the gps coordinates.
    Go to www.southernco.com/hydro/fishing; click on Alabama Power; click on Lakes and Recreation;on the left click on 'choose a dam', then choose a topic 'fishing', then submit. Click on Excel spreadsheet.

Post Thanks / Like

Bottomline, the crappie are going to hold in any area that gives them the most comfort and protection in any given season. Water temp and oxygen level will determine their comfort and cover and structure is key to their protection. Crappie love water temps in the 60's and low 70's which holds an adequate amount of oxygen -- their comfort zone. Structure is underwater geograph -- channels, points, ledges, flats, etc. -- and cover is what sits on top of the structure -- brushpiles, log jams, laydowns, crappie condos, man-made fish habs, etc. Remember, we are reading surface temps and not temps at or below the thermocline or in deeper channels.

Therefore, depending on your particular lake find the right depth of water where the crappie would be most comfortable and then find the cover in those zones. Between the two you put a pattern together and then you should be on the fish or at least that's a good place to start. The dog days of summer are the toughest of all but they will certainly surprise you sometimes.

This pic is from the 7th of July and we only caught two crappie but one of them was the longest my boat has ever caught. She weighed 2lbs6ozs. and was 18" long. She was caught in about 18' of water in a brushpile near a dock just off the main channel of the lake at about 12' deep. Surface water temp was 84 if I remember correctly.

And two days later we did better on the crappie fishing in very near the same pattern, but on points just off secondary channels.

No matter what, the summer season is tough and definitely a never know till you go situation. Keep after them, love doing it and always protect your right to do so. Think like crappie, be the crappie, LOL. Have a good time and I hope some of this rambling mess helps.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with DM. I found the depth the crappie were holding and found cover at that depth and it was no problem catching a limit of keepers. All caught on jig and nibbles.

Post Thanks / Like

I made up a reply but it dissapeared???

Thanks for the link DHW. I'll use it.
    I got out my GPS tonite. Dead batteries.
    I'll have to rig up a +supply from the boat battery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast