Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie with eggs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie with eggs

The fish in LOZ always get eggs in them as the water cools in the fall. In fact they are still full of eggs. Do fish in other MO. lakes do the same thing and are they still full of eggs?

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

They carry eggs year round. Even after the spawn, not all of the eggs are dropped.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Every lake I fish in the early winter will have females with eggs. My understanding is that they do it 2 times a year. probably good to move this one to the biologist forum, I'm sure he'd have the answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually these are the eggs for next spring, I believe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62 View Post
    My understanding is that they do it 2 times a year.
    that's a revelation, didn't realize that,,,,once heard OSS say he was shooting for twice a year but didn't think much about it at the time

Post Thanks / Like

all lakes all fish, they get rid of them in the spring, one way or the other, then they start all over again,,, good water good food supply bigger earlier egg sac, poor water poor food supply smaller egg sac weak spawn. all fish all lakes,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62 View Post
    Every lake I fish in the early winter will have females with eggs. My understanding is that they do it 2 times a year. probably good to move this one to the biologist forum, I'm sure he'd have the answer.
    They only spawn once a year in spring , They will make a run to the same spots in the fall but it is not to spawn. Some wont drop there eggs in the spring and will carry them most of the year.
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

"Over the years, we’d heard reports of bass and crappies spawning in fall, but this had never been scientifically documented until biologists with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission found small juvenile crappies in their fall sampling at Orange Lake. Curious about their origin, they collected more samples and aged the young fish by looking at the daily growth rings on their otoliths.The 2- and 3-inch crappies they collected in December had hatched between the first and fourth week of October. No good explanation of this phenomenon has been forthcoming, though rising water levels in fall were considered a possible trigger."

Crappie Science - In-Fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaned 6 here in NC 2 days ago full of eggs. Thought they were full belly on shad or would have thrown em back. Caught them in 12 fow 2-3 ft deep. Water temp was 51.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Yah during the fall feed up they start swelling big time with eggs. I caught some fat female walleye in Canada that were just stuffed with eggs.
    New goal 16" crappie by December 30

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast