Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Night stalkin rigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night stalkin rigs

Just wonder how everyone rigs their night stalkin rods? I usually put 2 hooks about 18" apart on probably 6" loops that hangs off to the side of your main line with a small sinker about a foot below to bottom hook. Am I doing this all wrong or does it really matter?

Post Thanks / Like

it only matters if your not catching fish.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

My son rigs his much like you do, but when fishing with minnows I use one hook and I use a Palomar knot to tie the hook on. I just tie the hook on with a long tag end and pass it through the eye after the knot is tied so the hook stands out from the main line. I use a drop shot weight (bass type drop shot)on the bottom.

I have thought about using a loop knot instead to give a little more room for the minnow to roam, but will probably stick with one hook. I Just like it with one, no real reason I don't use 2.

I am inclined now to use jigs even at night and I know of more than a few people doing just fine with jigs. I am looking forward to my next night trip without minnows even if I am the only one in the boat not fishing with minnows. It will be interesting to see the comparison, but my son has been working strange days and we have not been going like usual so don't know when that's gonna happen.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I hold two rods with one jig each on them. that way I can fish two different depths with two different colors until I find what is working best that night. My partner does the same so we are really fishing 4 depths and 4 colors so it doesn't take as long to put a pattern together. I tried a double jig rig and just kept getting tangled so I went back to the single jig.
    Scott

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've found out over alot of trial and error that if you do your homework and get out and really find the fish (work for 'em) you'll do as good on a one-hook rig as you will a two-hook rig. Also, on netting sized fish you'll have alot less trouble using the one-hook set up. This might be different trolling. I'm a tightline nite stalker myself.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.