Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Line weight to use fly fishing for crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Question Line weight to use fly fishing for crappie

I am wanting to try something different this upcoming crappie season(I only fish during spring,summer,and early fall),and that is fly fishing for crappie and bream(blue gill). I have a fly rod/reel combo picked out that I like for those new to fly fishing,...but I am wondering what line weight to use? Anyone here ever fly fish for crappie,and if you have,what line weight were you using?

Thanks
    Lundman a-14

Post Thanks / Like

Line weight is mostly determined by lure weight. 4 or 5 wt is probably the most used for panfish.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with a 9' 5wt -- very versatile rod.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a good friend thats all he does is fly fish for crappie.He uses 9' 5 wt and uses a popping bug and bream killer wears the crappie out!!!! fishes small lakes and sloughs!!! Bream killer is black body with chart legs!!!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

From what you say, you have your rod and reel. Being said, you would use the fly line to match the rod & reel. Use 5 wt line on a 5 wt 50d, 7 wt on a 7 and so on. I use a weight forward floating line. Then comes the real choice, your leader. I generally use a tapered trout leader for bream. They come in different weights, so get several and see what you like. When you get comfortable with your casting, get a 2 wt rod. Bream are an absolute blast on one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

A 5 weight is a very versatile rod, but is a bit heavy for crappie in my opinion. If you are using it exclusively for panfish, go with a 3 or 4 weight. You'll still have enough backbone to cast on windy days and the difference in the weight of the rod will be like night and day.