Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the best crappie jig you tried?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the best crappie jig you tried?

I am new to crappie fishing and the past couple of months I have been going out fishing for crappie with no luck. What are the best Jigs that you guys had tried out? I am in the market for some crappie jigs but have no clue which ones to get.

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of good jigs on the market. In the most recent Crappie World mag, there are a couple of articles about jig fishing, and all the guys are using different jigs. IMO, depth and speed are far more important than the jig I've got tied on.

Having said that, the best thing you can do is go to the KY board and read. Maybe you can hook up with another fisherman who can show you the ropes. Time on the water with an experienced crappie fisherman will help more than any jig.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice from db4d and color and water clarity make a big difference in what jig is best. Mostly what ever you have the most confidence in is also big.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    There are lots of good jigs on the market. In the most recent Crappie World mag, there are a couple of articles about jig fishing, and all the guys are using different jigs. IMO, depth and speed are far more important than the jig I've got tied on.

Having said that, the best thing you can do is go to the KY board and read. Maybe you can hook up with another fisherman who can show you the ropes. Time on the water with an experienced crappie fisherman will help more than any jig.
    Solid view right there...........

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What has been said so far, and I'll add that some basic colors are in everyone's box. A popular jig body these days is the Bobby Garland Baby Shad (BGBS) and colors that get a lot of play are; blue thunder, crystal, patriot, bubble gum, licorice/chartreuse, and of course, a pink of some description. These aren't all but it's a start. These baits aren't curl tails, but some of those work at times also. Presentation is more a factor than what you present, to a point. You can have the right body, and the right presentation, but the wrong color and the catch will be small. Stick around and ask all the questions you want, cuz there's no dumb ones here, and before long you'll be putting together a pattern and cleaning a bunch of fish. Welcome from middle Tennessee.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

You have gotten some great advice. But since you asked our favorites, I always have Roadrunners in my boat and always mixed in my spread. Love the Bobby Garland Stroll R's and Crappie Sliders.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys i will give those a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure you are putting it in their face? The best bait in the world won't catch a fish that isn't there. Take a few minnows next time, if they don't hit a minnow you may be in the wrong spot.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to say I am partial to the 1/16 roadrunner with 2" Kalin Triple Threat grubs. Between the vibration of the blade and the curly tail they do well...even get a nice largemouth every now and then. I also like the same grubs on a 1/32 or 1/16 jig head as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich Maker View Post
    Solid view right there...........
    Sandwich Maker, you been missing in action. Hope your alright and ain't been sick.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast