Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Glossary

Post Thanks / Like

Question Glossary

I'm new to the forum, somewhat new to crappie fishing. I've searched for any kind of glossary on this web site and haven't been able to find one. Having retired from a profession that is chock full of acronyms and jargon I know how easy it is to get lost in terminology. By any chance is there any kind of a list of definitions for commonly used acronyms and other terminology specific to the pursuit of crappie and/or this web site? I know that eventually I will pick up on the terms just by reading and absorbing but it would be nice to be able to better understand some of what I read right from the start.

Post Thanks / Like

Just post them and someone will interpret
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill .... here's the only "glossary" I'm aware of : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/archi...ys-thread.html

If the terminology you seek to define & understand is not present in this listing ... then just tell us what they are, and we'll define them for you as best we can. And you're right, there's always more than one definition of a term/word ... and many times it relates to what region of the country it's being spoken in, by whom it's being used and what they grew up hearing it being used to describe.

Most of the acronyms used on the site are relatively simple :

BTW .. by the way
    FWIW .. for what it's worth
    IMHO .. in my humble opinion
    IMO .. in my opinion
    WTT .. want to trade
    WTB .. want to buy
    SMH .. shaking my head (not often used on this site)
    FYI .. for your information
    WTH .. what the heck (kid friendly version)
    LOL .. laughing out loud
    LMAO .. laughing my arse off (kid friendly version ... could also be LMBO "laughing my butt off")

Foul language/cursing is forbidden on this site, and should be edited/deleted by the Moderators upon discovering the use of those words. This should also apply to acronyms, where any letter in the group has a curse word representation. Even the use of *@#* or misspelled attempts at hiding the use of a word that's normally considered "adult language/curse word" is a violation of site rules ... but, unfortunately is not edited as often as it should be.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

cp, I appreciate the reply but I think you misunderstood. I am familiar with most of the standard internet and texting acronyms such as those you posted. I am more interested in the crappie fishing forums specific jargon. People here frequently reduce references to tackle suppliers, fishing terms, tackle descriptions, fishing methods, etc. to just the initials. Presumably they are terms and descriptions in common use here but to a newcomer they are not so obvious. Sometimes it is not only acronyms. Fishing terms used may not always be obvious to us new guys. I frequent a number of other forums for various interests and many (though not all) of them provide a glossary of terms and acronyms common to that forum or area of interest.

Some of the terms which had me scratching my head I have been able to do some internet searching and find explanations of. As an example of one particular term I was curious about is the term "longlining". After doing some searching on the internet I have found at least 2 different definitions for this term depending on the fish being pursued and where. While I have been fishing for various species for about 40 years or more I have never come in contact with the term which seems to apply to something I have done often over the years. Tightlining is another curiosity. I also had to do some digging to find out what spider rigging means and I've found more than one description about what that is. BPS I assume refers to Bass Pro Shops but some of the other initials for tackle suppliers have me scratching my head.

I'll eventually learn all the terms and acronyms as I lurk on this board. I was just hoping there might already be a central glossary of terms that someone had already done and I just could not find it. I guess I'll have to make learning this stuff part of my crappie.com adventure.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

OK .... I got'cha !! You're talking about the terminology references to methods & habitat & such :

Like .. "condo" (man made habitat, consisting of wood or PVC equiv.)
    "BGBS" (Bobby Garland Baby Shad)
    "pitching" (short cast/swinging of a jig to a confined space)
    "shooting docks" (slingshot casting under docks or overhanging obstacles)
    ... that sort of glossary. Sorry, no .... but, it might not be a bad idea to have such a thing, and it would certainly get plenty of reads if placed on this forum. It certainly fits right in with the mentoring/beginners ideology of this forum.

Here's one for you .... "Vertical Casting" You may well have fished this way, but never heard it called by that name. Now .... here's the "what & how" : Crappie Pappy Article

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glossary

Here are a few off the top of my head. Like I said, if you have a question about something just ask or post it here and someone will answer it for you.
    HB= Humminbird fish finder
    Low= Lowrance
    BP= barometric pressure
    Specks= Black Crappie
    Black Nose= Black Crappie strain with black stripe from nose to tail
    Single-pole or two-poling= vertical jigging with one or two poles, either slow-trolling or jigging structure such as stumps, trees, brush piles etc.
    BPS= Bass Pro Shops
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I read a post and it has wording or terminology I do not understand...just post a reply on that particular thread. Someone will answer you. For beginners and old geezers it is best to not get too technical. It is paralysis by analysis. Keep it simple. Keep it fun. The fish are in the water. Find wood. Find weeds. Use a proven bait or lure. Find the feeding depth. Slow your presentation doooown..then slow it doooooown some more.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

As a certifiable "old geezer" (I carry a card that says so) who's been fishing awhile I'm not really bothered by technical. I can filter through the information here and find what is useful to me. It is just a matter of wanting to be able to read what people are saying without having to scratch my head too much. I'll eventually pick up on all the current terms just by lurking. As I said some of the terms being used refer to stuff I have been doing or seeing for years but just never heard it called that. I was just hoping for a quick reference to ease the communication learning curve. Apparently it doesn't exist here. This seems to be a great forum with a lot of really helpful people here. I am sure I will pick up on some new stuff and maybe even contribute a little something along the way. Thanks for the replies.