Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Baitcaster

number2 Guest

Default Choosing a Baitcaster

I am getting ready to buy my first baitcasting reel and I’ve got no idea how to choose one. I have never used one before but I want to learn. I understand that baitcasters allow for a greater amount of control when casting. I don’t know what kinds of features to look for, or the type of materials and construction that make up a quality baitcaster.

I fish mostly freshwater in Florida. Right now I have two rods, one for light tackle and one for all around freshwater and inshore fishing.

For panfish I have a Bass Pro Shop light spinner which was cheap, and while using it for a little while it has turned out to be pretty low quality. It gets sand in it easily and it’s tricky to clean and maintain. I don’t feel like spending much money on light tackle though so it will work for now.

For all around freshwater and inshore fishing I have a Penn 4400ss. It isn’t very fancy but seems to be tough as nails and that’s why I bought it. It is put together simple enough for me to be able to break it down, clean and re-lube it with out much hassle. There is some play with the anti-reverse, but if the spring is adjusted correctly it works alright.

I am going to use the Penn to cast and troll a Hummingbird SmartCast fishfinder when fishing from my kayak. I am looking to get a baitcaster as my primary fishing rod for worms, tubes, and large jigs, as well as crankbaits and topwater stuff occasionally.

What I want in a baitcaster is the features of all the fancy new technology but made tough enough to last along time. I would like one that is made simple enough that I can take it apart and maintain it as needed. I want to stay within the price range of between 100 and 200 dollars. As for the rod I guess I am looking for a 6 & ½ - 7 ft medium.

If anyone has any tips on my perfect baitcaster I am all ears.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a terrific combo in your price range. BPS has a Shimano Citica paired with their XPS rod for just $139.98. Believe me, this is a deal - the reel is $119.99 when purchased separately. I personally own and use this combo, I don't think there is a better value on the market.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I have 11 Citicas and several of the Curados you cant go wrong with either...Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Be carefull, they have changed those 2 reels significantly this year, and I believe they are both quite a lot more $. If I remember correctly tackletour did a review of the new corado and Citica. Good info there.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshim...do200dhsv.html

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocitica200d.html
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I own several baitcasting oufits from Shimano, Daiwa and Quantum. Although I give the Shimanos (mine are Curado CU100D and Chronarch CH100BSV) a slight edge on durability, my current favorite rig is a Quantum Accurist PT (pic) with a 7' BPS Crankin Stick in medium light action. The reel is the smoothest cranking that I own, has excellent line control (most any reel over $100 works great though) and is comfortable to hold. The rod is soft enough for small baits and light bites, but has plenty of backbone to handle big fish too. This outfit will cost you about $170. You can buy paired "combos" at cheaper prices but the rod choices are limited.

Post Thanks / Like

I got 2 combos at BPS with the Citicas and Xtreme rods. Good price. These were my first baitcasters as well. They work for me, but I am a newbie at baitcasters too.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Shimano Curados And Team Diawa. The Curado is a reel that is very easy to use and easy to set up for each individual. The team Diawa is a reel that you should not use until you really learn to use a baitcaster. It is very touchy and without experience you would have all kinds of problems.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the BPS Pro Qualifier reel. Its a 7-bearing reel for $100.00. If money is no object, striper guides on Lake Texoma use the Shimano Calais. They catch big fish on these reels and they all say they never break down or tear up. Old saying applies here, "you get what you pay for."

Post Thanks / Like

My first and only bait caster is an Abu Garcia "Record" RCN50. I love this rig. I don't know that I would ever buy a different reel. Had I tried another reel first I would probably say the same thing about it. The reel is smooth casting, and even smoother reeling it in. Like I said this is my first baitcaster and it is super easy to use. It's teamed with a Fenwick HMG 6' rod. Abu says this reel is the farthest casting reel they have made to date. I can't say if it is or not since I haven't used their product but it is easy to use.
    fishintiger

Look for me on Ohio Game Fishing I'm fishintiger there too.

Still searching for that 20 inch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

i fish for bass bout half the time (100-125 day a yr) been usin shimano curados (super free 200) last few yrs and have had no problems...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast