PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Bass Trackers???

Cane Pole
07-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Ok, I got one, but what does it take to get the aluminum hull shiney? I tried some aluminum polish. All I got was black rags and a sore arm when using the polish. No shine. Suggestions???

Also. Have a transom mount skimmer (factory installed) hooked to a Lowrance x47 (came with boat, I didn't install it). Doesn't work at speeds over 10 mph (garbage on the display). Don't see how any air bubbles could be causing any problems. Smoothe surface bottom, no rivits. Any suggestions here?

Stopped by BPS on way back from Tunica to ask Boat salesman about this. He and she didn't know crap.........Verified the mount. Mine same as the showroom rig. This thing supposed to work up to 70 MPH.

Sure glad I know my way around the river................

PanMan_VA
07-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Set the transducer lower and tip it so it points a little forward. That should get it working much better. It might still lose lock in deep water at speeds over 25 mph.

Cane Pole
07-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Set the transducer lower and tip it so it points a little forward. That should get it working much better. It might still lose lock in deep water at speeds over 25 mph.

You mean lower in the existing mounting position right?

MAINEIAC
07-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Take a piece of wire with two alligator clips, Put one end on the negative post of the battery you use for the fishfinder and the other to any metal part of the boat. Battery may not be grounded. No. 2 Rev up your engine in neutral and see if the interference appears. Motor may not be grounded. I just installed a new fishfinder on my trolling motor and had to run a ground from the skeg on my trolling motor to the frame of the boat. Composite shaft, no ground on the motor part.

crome
07-17-2006, 06:51 PM
yep,just lower the transducer a little,that should help,as far as polish,the best stuff i have used is diamond brite,truck box polish from home depot or lowes,it removes oxidation,and discoloration to bring back the shine,and the more times you use it the more it will shine.i use it on the rims of the jeep,and its the best of all the polish and cleaners i have tried..........crome

PanMan_VA
07-17-2006, 07:04 PM
You mean lower in the existing mounting position right?

Yes, loosen the mounting screws and move the transducer as low as it will go. I think the offset transom entrains some air in the water or there is enough turbulence created by the offset transom to cause problems. My 175 was the same way and the adjustments I suggested got it working for me. When I lose lock in deeper water when running at 25 mph or more, increasing the sensitivity usually works.

Barnacle Bill
07-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Sometimes it helps to tilt the back of the transducer down a couple of degrees. I did that with my Garmin 240 and it reads fine even at 65 MPH. I very rarely go that fast. Especially in this neck of the woods.

HurricaneJM
07-17-2006, 07:57 PM
many dont work to great at high speeds.... but, if you lower it, it will give you better readings....

frank lawhead
07-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Go To The Airport And See What They Shine Them With
Used A Bunch Years Ago But Forgot The Name --hows Come That Doe,nt Surprize Me ??? Ha

Eager Beaver
07-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Ok, I got one, but what does it take to get the aluminum hull shiney? I tried some aluminum polish. All I got was black rags and a sore arm when using the polish. No shine. Suggestions.

I don't think that you can get the aluminum to shine like crome. It isn't meant to shine. That is why you are getting black rags.

TampaJim
07-18-2006, 10:33 AM
OK ... all that black residue is the metal polish with oxidized aluminum mixed in. You would eventually get done using muscle power - but you would look like Ahnold when finished. Get a rotary buffer and a wool buffing pad. This will make it look very nice. Want to go one step further? Hit it again with metal wax and a foam pad - now you will have a highly polished chrome look. NO ... I am not kidding.

See ... you were going about it correctly, sort of.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/jimgamble/before.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/jimgamble/after.jpg

Matt Smith
07-18-2006, 03:41 PM
I'd love to see more pictures of that TampaJim!

Waylonh
07-18-2006, 04:16 PM
You need a product called weenal. It comes in a metal tube, and I got mine at the place where you buy those stupid 28" wheels............... If your town has one. Also, Get the rotary buffer, and several cloth pads.

Also, check this site out

http://www.caswellplating.com

There is a wealth of polishing knowledge on that forum! Aluminum will shine better than chrome when properly polished.

Jakekatfishin
07-18-2006, 05:49 PM
If you don't want that chrome look, but you want to clean it up pretty quick and gain a little speed, especially if there is algae growth, use acid that they use to clean pontoon boats. I think it is sulfuric, but it could be hydrochloric? I know that it will give it a very clean shinny look. It is also very easy just use a plant sprayer or mister and get to work. Just be sure and spray from the top down or you will get a lot of runs. Also don't wear any clothes that you would mind holes in and wear rubber or leather gloves.

crome
07-18-2006, 06:41 PM
If you don't want that chrome look, but you want to clean it up pretty quick and gain a little speed, especially if there is algae growth, use acid that they use to clean pontoon boats. I think it is sulfuric, but it could be hydrochloric? I know that it will give it a very clean shinny look. It is also very easy just use a plant sprayer or mister and get to work. Just be sure and spray from the top down or you will get a lot of runs. Also don't wear any clothes that you would mind holes in and wear rubber or leather gloves.
you spray from the bottom up,or it will streak

fishdoc
07-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Man!!!y'all got time to do all that, ya got time to go fishing! i've owned a boat for bout 35 yrs...fish 200-250 days a yr...never washed or waxed one...i do have to vaccum it every yr or two...

Barnacle Bill
07-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Man!!!y'all got time to do all that, ya got time to go fishing! i've owned a boat for bout 35 yrs...fish 200-250 days a yr...never washed or waxed one...i do have to vaccum it every yr or two...

I'm on your side Fishdoc. I used to try to keep it clean but it interfered with my fishing. Besides, a shiney boat would scare the fish away.:eek:

crome
07-18-2006, 10:11 PM

yep,i got time to fish also,i treat my boat just like my jeep,i've got to much money tied up in my boat to not take care of it,it's got to last for awhile

TampaJim
07-19-2006, 05:10 AM
Hey ... try to help a fellow out and this is what I get?

I was just trying to provide information and an example. I would never forget to get blood, guts, scales, etc. all over the boat - I am NOT a girly man.

ROTFLMAO

LBM
07-19-2006, 08:19 AM
When I traded in my fiber glass boat I got a aluminum boat with a vinyl floor so minnows, corn chips and worm dirt can be squished on the floor without being concerned about cleaning the floor.

When I got my new boat I ask the dealer if they had any decals for faux scratches dings, dents and gashes that I could apply to my new boat so when a real ding dent or scratch came along it wouldnít stand out and be noticed. They didnít have any and didnít think it was a serious request on my part. :)

superdave1984
07-19-2006, 08:56 AM
We used rubbing compound with a power buffer on my buddy's pontoon. They really were bright after that. Didn't last long though and it was really time consuming.