Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kansas Spider Rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kansas Spider Rigging

Craig can you explain why Kansas is restricted to three poles per person? Personally I have not developed my spider rigging skills to the point where I need more than three but I am curious what the reasons are for the stricter regulations in Kansas. Does it matter how you actually catch a limit as long as you do not exceed the limit? Thanks!

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappiewhipped View Post
    Craig can you explain why Kansas is restricted to three poles per person? Personally I have not developed my spider rigging skills to the point where I need more than three but I am curious what the reasons are for the stricter regulations in Kansas. Does it matter how you actually catch a limit as long as you do not exceed the limit? Thanks!
    Crappiewhipped,

Kansas has had the two rod maximum per angler for many years. A number of years ago the Department began to offer the third rod permit and it has become fairly popular among anglers. The Department hasn't received many complaints about two rod (or three with the third rod permit) being far too restrictive although some anglers have said they would be willing to purchase fourth, fifth, and sixth (and so on) rod permits.

It appears that it has been two rods maximum for many years as anglers have found that an acceptable number. If you are interested in seeing the maximum number of rods per angler increased, I would recommend that you contact the KDWPT Commissioners and/or attend a KDWPT Commission Meeting and make your feelings known. The next Commission meeting is this Thursday January 10th in El Dorado.

Post Thanks / Like

I buy the third pole permit and let me tell you, I can make one hell of a mess trying to manage 3 poles. I can't imagine what it would be like having 6 of them hanging out of the boat!
    "My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am" -- unknown

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering why the KDWPT feels it is necessary to charge a extra fee for a third pole? Do the states in the southern part of the country where spider rigging is so popular require additional fees for every additional rod?

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering why the KDWPT feels it is necessary to charge a extra fee for a third pole?

Again, Kansas has had a two rod maximum for a very long time. Those that expressed interest in fishing with additional rods said they would be happy to pay for it and thus the third rod permit was born.

Do the states in the southern part of the country where spider rigging is so popular require additional fees for every additional rod?
    I'm not sure how all the other states handle it. I believe you can fish up to 7 rods in Oklahoma without an extra permit above your fishing license.