Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinda off topic Big Piney smallmouth tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kinda off topic Big Piney smallmouth tips?

Im going to be fishing the lower big piney in a couple weeks and was wondering if there is anyone on here that would have any tips, lure types and good colors I should try?Any help will be appreciated.Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Check out this thread, spikerrr

Quote Originally Posted by spikerrr
    Im going to be fishing the lower big piney in a couple weeks and was wondering if there is anyone on here that would have any tips, lure types and good colors I should try?Any help will be appreciated.Thanks
    And sorry for the late responce...izzy http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=22454

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spikerrr

I would use a short ultra light outfit 5'-5½', I have aways had good luck with Beetle Spins on the Piney. I lived in Licking for years and floated it all the time. Hope it rains before you float it or you will be out walking as much as you are fishing this time of the year.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

so, if you read the thread you know that have just recently been on the piney. don't worry, it's got plenty of water (hopefully you're not in a metal canoe, then it may be a little low). go and get soem 4" green pumpkinseed with red fleck chompers jigs and fish them on a 1/4 ounce (in stronger current) or 1/8 ounce in lighter current. just bounce them along the rocks with the current, or pitch them into holes behind rocks or rootwads. it leaves an exposed hook, so i suggest fireline on a medium action rod. if you use an ultralight rig you won't get the hookset you need on a 24 inch smallie (which i watched a ten year old boy catch while i wondered how he did that). in lieu of that, just toss a rebel crawdad, they work well but not as well as the 4" chomper. don't forget to bring two small buzzbaits for night fishing!
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips guys.Im going on aug 12 .I cant wait to give the chompers a try.Later

Post Thanks / Like

if you are going in mid august i would suggest you stay on the last 1/2 of the river. it will take you through fort leonard wood, which is actually really nice and by several really good springs. the lower half of the river will not only be lower but it will also have more people on it. for some reason the fort scares people away. we camped on a gravel bar inside it and had a really good time. (technically that is legal because the gravel bar is the property of the river, not the fort.)
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

How did your trip go fry. Any biggun's...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

How did your trip to the lake go fry?i stayed away this weekend.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kinda off topic Big Piney smallmouth tips?

Fryguy,we put in at the Elbow in and float down to a little past the boiling spring on the gasconade.My brother has some bottomland we have fixed up for camping about a 1/4 mile past the boiling spring.There is an outfitter below us and one above us so its easy get setup with canoes.So far(weve floated this stretch three times now) its been a really quiet float.Not too many people,hardly any rowdy drunks and we only have to pull the canoes a couple times.We used to float and camp at Riches last resort,but the number of ignorant drunks kinda turned us off.

Post Thanks / Like

Elbow inn is a unique little bar & grill with a bunch of interesting pics dont you think? how did you do fishing?
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast