Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Storage/organization

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shop Storage/organization

Hey crappie.com'rs

I am planning on getting a shop in spring to store all my stuff, boat, mower, rods etc. I was curious as to how im gonna set it all up to get the best use out of the space. So if you have a shop/dedicated garage and you dont mind, post some pics so I can get some ideas.
    I appreciate your time and help

Tom

"The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it".

William James

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't really matter how you organize your stuff, eventually you will have more stuff in there than there is room for.

Benches and shelves help, but right now I just bring the seasonal stuff to the front and hope for the best.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is, no matter how big you think you need it multiply that by 2, if you are planning a 20X30 go ahead and do a 40X60, you'll thank yourself in a year or so.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboyrn View Post
    Hey crappie.com'rs

I am planning on getting a shop in spring to store all my stuff, boat, mower, rods etc. I was curious as to how im gonna set it all up to get the best use out of the space. So if you have a shop/dedicated garage and you dont mind, post some pics so I can get some ideas.
    I appreciate your time and help

Tom
    Check out the forum at garagejournal.com for some great ideas.

The very best rod storage idea I've ever seen was a rack on the ceiling over the boat. They were way up out of the way unless you were standing in the boat, but from the boat you could just reach up and hang them up or get them down with no effort.

Some ideas I've accumulated over the years if I ever build a dedicated boat garage:

Outlet in the ceiling with a cord hanging down to charge the boat.

Ceiling fans to help dry the boat when it comes home wet.

Shelves 7 or 8 ft high along one side that you can reach from the boat to load and unload it without climbing in and out.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, this may sound silly, but it works. Get you a pad of 1/4" squared paper. Draw-out (to scale) the larger items you know you'll be dealing with (boat, truck, workbench, compressor, etc. you get the idea), then arrange them within a specific area (30'x40' just for example, but naturally using the same scale) and see how they fit.

I know many do it on their computer....but I'm "Old School" (paper and pencil) (plus I just ain't that computer savvy)
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

They also have rails for slide in plastic storage containers that are placed on the ceiling, pretty neat for the seasonal stuff. Just label the bottom of the container and you know what is in it

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my ceiling mounted long-rod rack...directly over my boat so I can stand up in the boat and load them into the boat...

Rickie
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shop setup

Hey Tommy. I store my rods overhead and haven't damaged a rod since. A small stool might be needed to access them, but it's by far the best way that I have found yet. There are several ways to get it done, some with some basic carpenter skills needed. The end result of the wooden versions are stained and urethaned and look very good, not rough and rustic. Anyway, here's a pic of my shed when I had them up there. I have a garage now and just moved them to it and changed them to be tip to tip and I store twice as many in the same space. Holler if you need any details, I kinda owe you one anyway.
    A workbench stout enough for Elephants to mate on runs the left wall of the garage, storage shelves run left to right on the back wall. Shelves in the back right corner are for fishing and boat stuff, cuts down on search time and fills a dead space. You can see the rods in the back right corner n the ceiling rafters. Stripe painted in yellow and the floor of the stall the boat sits in keeps the boat from getting into the door frame when you back in. You can also see that I spend a lot of time fishing and less time cleaning up the grudge. Rows of lights on individual switches per row makes it easier to light what you need, and lots of outlets set 4' off the floor will serve you well also. A table built at a comfortable height and unattached will help when building and painting and whatever, including draggin it outside to clean fish on. My back doesn't hurt so bad since I built mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

lots of great ideas.......thanks
    catfan, i satyed on the garage website for almost an hour "just looking"- excellent thanks

William James

Post Thanks / Like

Skeet, thats what im talking about. I like your line painted to help backing in.....

William James

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast