Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: frustration with rod holder

Post Thanks / Like

Default frustration with rod holder

I bought me some new hi tek rod holders for the front of my new boat. I had trouble lining up the base in the front so that it leaves enough room to remove poles from the holder without being in the way or to close to the person fishing so that the holder and rods are bumped when moving around. I had to move the base all the way to the front platform to make it work. By doing this it was very close to being in the way of the trolling motor and when I lined it up I thought I would have enough room to barely raise and lower the trolling motor. I went ahead and drilled my base holes and mounted the base. I realized when I put the rizer bar in that I had the holder spun the wrong way and it blocks the motor, so every time I get ready to raise or lower motor I have to move the top rod bar on the holder to raise and lower it. I also can just barely fit the riser bar in the base to keep it clear of the motor. I am thankful the base was made long to allow for this. I guess it is something I will have to deal with now because I do not want to drill another set of holes close to those to try and fix it. Just more work for me now. I also could only use 3 of the screws to tighten the base down because somehow one of those were out of line too. Just my luck.

I guess I was so excited about trying to get them mounted that I got in a hurry and should have taken more time to try and figure it out better. The rod holders look like great quality and I think they will serve me well for many years. The product is good, just the issue with the trolling motor causes the issue and frustration.

Post Thanks / Like

Seeker, I had the same situation just to get leg room. Since I keep a wrench on the bow of the boat I just loosen the bolt and slide the holder from the base and lay it in the boat until I get to my next spot. Just takes a second to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about that. Got any pictures of how it's set up

Post Thanks / Like

Measure twice, cut(or drill) once. Doesn't pay to be in a hurry when doing something that is going to be permanent.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

We have all been in a hurry and messed up. You can fix it. Plan. Get a thick piece of Starboard. Cut it and shape it like you need it. Make it bigger than the Hi tech base. Mount the starboard with the holes you drilled. Reposition the mount and mount it onto the starboard. You can make it work.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What they said. You'll like em once you get used to your boats personality.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Scott also has to move the top bar to raise and lower the TM but you get use to that part pretty easily.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I just slide mine out of base and lay down and then pull trolling motor up! I have done it so much now its just routine and only takes seconds to do!
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If you send a pic to Scott, he could possibly custom build you an offset base mount that would utilize your existing holes...

Call him and see...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Paul I realize that diff trollers will change the plan, but here's a pic of my setup. I trailer the boat covered just about everywhere with everything broke down and troller locked in stow position. When I get to the lake I set it up and from that point the troller sets down on my Hi-tek rod holder. It's an '02 motorguide w/ the locking knobs, so it stays put fine in all kinds of water and at any speed. FYI.

Trolling motor in pic is not quite down on the rod holder like it would be on the water.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast