Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling help information needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling help information needed.

I need some lessons on trolling. I know there is more to it than just casting out of the back of the boat, putting the trolling motor in gear and riding around the lake.

thanks for the information

Post Thanks / Like

do a search for trolling, longlining, should come up with some info and tips on the basics such as speed, line, lures, casting, etc. Need a gps to control your speed, well, its very helpful as speed controls the depth of the lures when longlining.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a long read....but really good info....

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...nks-101-a.html

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Pete if you will go to the Mississippi board, then go to Magnolia Crappie Club when you bring it up you will find Forum Magnolia Crappie Club underneath it it will have Magnolia Crappie Club web site. Click it on and on the Left side of the page they have some nice reads about longline trolling.

Phillip
    Last edited by CrappieFlopper; 01-04-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Forgot my name

Post Thanks / Like

Actually throwing the grubs out the back of the boat and setting them in the holder is pretty much the main idea. As you do it more and more you will learn how to control your depth with the weight, speed, and amount of line you have out. No article you read will give you enough understandable information that you can just go out, do it and be a pro the first time. Its a learning experience that takes time, patience, and practice. So if I were you I would do just what you said to start out with.......go out to the lake, throw out some lines out the back and sit back and hold on. You want your rod tips close to the water to decrease tangles and to get your jigs deeper. The rest is a trial by error like I said above. Its all basic common sense in my opinion. The more weight you use the deeper your jigs run, the more line out the deeper your jigs run, the slower you troll the deeper your jigs run, and so on and so on.....Good luck. Its a heck of a way to fill the boat.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

Get in the boat with someone, been in the boat with several and it is the best thing you can do. Read pulling cranks 101 even if you arent gonna pull cranks, there are alot of little tid tips of info in there that will help. One that comes to mind is to raise the outboard completely out of the water if pulling with the troller and in a days time it will conserve a bunch of batterry juice. Good luck.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Raising the motor may save on battery life since it reduces drag (which is a awesome tip) but if you are trying to troll a certain ledge or track and there is a cross wind the motor in the water actually helps keep the back straight and not let the wind to blow it around......there are tons of little tricks you can do to either help or hurt yourself. Practice makes perfect.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I drop the motor til the skeg is in the water just enough to stabilize in a wind. Keep the prop out as much as possible. Have trolled very windy days that I had to have it way down. Experience teaches best.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the alabama board to Weiss in feb article. Kelly Matthews has a short video on what you are asking about Very good video
    Last edited by dwightparks; 01-05-2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling