Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good for hook removal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good for hook removal

I picked up a set of these curved forceps a few yers ago and love how easy it made getting hooks out! I have always used needle nose pliers but would usually tear ones mouth open when swallowed deep and having to force pliers deep....these forceps have saved many a crappie from dying! They also lock shut on the hook making it easier to free the hook and keep a good hold. Just thought I would share for those that may be looking for something to use!

Name:  0102131032.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  27.6 KB
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

I used long nosed forceps to save fish as well. Fish swallow a hook? Cut line, use finger to poke hook eye down toward gills (reversing the hook), now carefully grab with forceps at the bend right where it comes out of the throat and pull it out of the throat.

If it takes too much resistance it won't work, but it usually comes unhooked with very little pressure.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Hemostats are very handy for powder coating jigs as well. I try to keep a couple of pair stashed away at all times. Who knows, one of these days they may come in handy when getting a hook out of yourself. I forwarded a short clip I received thru email to my son about someone getting hooked and the best way to remove it. Two days later his buddy hooked him the chest. The video reminded him of what he should be doing. Curved hemostats are especially good for hook removal.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a pair just like those, they sure are handy and you can even see what your doing better with them. I also use them to straighten my hooks back too.
    Lets go soak a line. Pat

Post Thanks / Like

I work on small engines and they work great for closing off fuel lines. Or reaching in tankes and grabbing fuel filters.
    Mike

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The ones with the long nose have a good reach. I have a set with the short jaws, maybe 3/4", and like em fine. I don't grab as many other body parts that I don't need compared to the longer jaws. Both are in my boat though.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Preach. When a hook is really deep, a good ol' hemostat or Kelly Clamp is quick way to get it out. You can get 'em on eBay pretty cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

flea markets have them also......

Post Thanks / Like

I have a ton of those larger sized Kelly clamps that I keep all over the boat and in my various tackle bags. You an even find them on ebay for next to nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all the above as well, have owned quite a few of those tools over the years. I bet the guy who invented these for surgery use would laugh now if he new what we use them for. Have a good day. STEVE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast