Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Pole Jigging Equipment Question

Post Thanks / Like

Question Single Pole Jigging Equipment Question

I've got a question for you Pro Jiggers, Single Polers, Dippers etc.

What kind of reel are you using on your jig poles. I've got two poles that I fish with mainly. One being a 10' Sam Heaton and the other a 12' BnM ultralight pole. I've got an open face on my 10 footer and it balances out the rod well. The 12' has a great feel to it and it seems to balance at best with a fly reel. My problem is the cheap fly reels that I've found aren't worth a hoot.

I've tried the BnM brand and it's been the best so far, but the drag mechanism broke in it afer about 6 months of use. I tried another one that appeared to be better made, but it's no where near as good as the BnM one.

What do yall use for a reel? I feel like if I went with a baitcaster or a open face reel it would be too heavy on the back end, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Post Thanks / Like

The weight on the back of rod will balance the rod better,that is why some have put weight in back of rod. I use all open face reels but many use bait casting and turn rod over, its a preference that only you can make,others can only give you their preference. My advice is no matter what reel that it be a good reel.
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Buster View Post
    ... it seems to balance at best with a fly reel. My problem is the cheap fly reels that I've found aren't worth a hoot.
    There are plenty of good fly reels on the market that won't break the bank. I have this one and recommend it.

Hobbs Creek® Large Arbor Fly Reels or Spare Spools | Bass Pro Shops

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Browning ultra-light spinning reel. I fish with 11' Ozark rods. One of them is a forward seat, one is a rear seat. I prefer the feel of the weight balance with the rear seat more than the forward seat. Most will probably tell you, just use whatever you can because when you're vertical jigging, all your reel is doing is acting as a "line holder".... While there is a lot of truth to that, I prefer to spend a few bucks and buy a quality spinning reel with a good drag system and good anti-spin lock. I've never fished with any of the baitcaster style reels for crappie, so I cant speak for or agin them.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Graphite Okuma Cascade large arbor fly reels. They are light and have decent drags. I got mine for $30-$35 including shipping on eBay.

I only fish on days of the week that end with
    a "Y" ...and then, only if it's raining or not.

Post Thanks / Like

if you are fishing deeper water (deeper than your rod is long) then go with the spinning reel like you said...but if your strike zone is no deeper than say 11', I have found it to be a WORLD of difference to drop that 10' Sam Heaton to a 9' Sam Heaton and use the small $8 red BnM reel that just holds your line. The 9' Sams is a LOT lighter and thinner and more sensitive than the 10'...a lot. So light in fact, you dont need a back balance reel to make it balanced right. These smaller reels weigh NOTHING and you can hold your hand out and vertical jig all day and never get tired. This is the only fishing I do, single pole vertical jigging and I have owned just about every rod out there. This is the best set up I have ever found. Hope this helps.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Plueger President

Post Thanks / Like

Pflueger President model 6720 with 4lb test, that's the ticket!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use several different 10' & 12' rods with openface spinning reels. These length rods are usually front heavy, even with a reel attached. To make the rod balance in my hand, I use lead weights inside the handle (if I can pry off the butt cap) or wrap the handle with THIN lead sheeting that is secured with racket or baseball bat tape. These modified, balanced rods are very comfortable to use.

Post Thanks / Like

I have spinning reels on all my long poles. I don't like to buy junk. So I just look at as if this will be the last reel I will ever put on the pole.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast