PDA

View Full Version : Single Pole Jigging Equipment Question

Crappie Buster
01-02-2013, 12:39 PM
I've got a question for you Pro Jiggers, Single Polers, Dippers etc.

What kind of reel are you using on your jig poles. I've got two poles that I fish with mainly. One being a 10' Sam Heaton and the other a 12' BnM ultralight pole. I've got an open face on my 10 footer and it balances out the rod well. The 12' has a great feel to it and it seems to balance at best with a fly reel. My problem is the cheap fly reels that I've found aren't worth a hoot.

I've tried the BnM brand and it's been the best so far, but the drag mechanism broke in it afer about 6 months of use. I tried another one that appeared to be better made, but it's no where near as good as the BnM one.

What do yall use for a reel? I feel like if I went with a baitcaster or a open face reel it would be too heavy on the back end, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

genec
01-02-2013, 02:16 PM
The weight on the back of rod will balance the rod better,that is why some have put weight in back of rod. I use all open face reels but many use bait casting and turn rod over, its a preference that only you can make,others can only give you their preference. My advice is no matter what reel that it be a good reel.

deathb4disco
01-02-2013, 02:21 PM
... it seems to balance at best with a fly reel. My problem is the cheap fly reels that I've found aren't worth a hoot.

There are plenty of good fly reels on the market that won't break the bank. I have this one and recommend it.

Hobbs Creek® Large Arbor Fly Reels or Spare Spools | Bass Pro Shops (http://www.basspro.com/Hobbs-Creek-Large-Arbor-Fly-Reels-or-Spare-Spools/product/44558/)

arrookie
01-02-2013, 02:23 PM
I use a Browning ultra-light spinning reel. I fish with 11' Ozark rods. One of them is a forward seat, one is a rear seat. I prefer the feel of the weight balance with the rear seat more than the forward seat. Most will probably tell you, just use whatever you can because when you're vertical jigging, all your reel is doing is acting as a "line holder".... While there is a lot of truth to that, I prefer to spend a few bucks and buy a quality spinning reel with a good drag system and good anti-spin lock. I've never fished with any of the baitcaster style reels for crappie, so I cant speak for or agin them.

dandeman
01-02-2013, 02:38 PM
I like the Graphite Okuma Cascade large arbor fly reels. They are light and have decent drags. I got mine for $30-$35 including shipping on eBay.

Kman
01-02-2013, 02:49 PM
if you are fishing deeper water (deeper than your rod is long) then go with the spinning reel like you said...but if your strike zone is no deeper than say 11', I have found it to be a WORLD of difference to drop that 10' Sam Heaton to a 9' Sam Heaton and use the small $8 red BnM reel that just holds your line. The 9' Sams is a LOT lighter and thinner and more sensitive than the 10'...a lot. So light in fact, you dont need a back balance reel to make it balanced right. These smaller reels weigh NOTHING and you can hold your hand out and vertical jig all day and never get tired. This is the only fishing I do, single pole vertical jigging and I have owned just about every rod out there. This is the best set up I have ever found. Hope this helps.

kycreek
01-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Plueger President

Hookedonslabs
01-02-2013, 03:50 PM
:hesaid Pflueger President model 6720 with 4lb test, that's the ticket!!!

Badgerloader
01-02-2013, 04:10 PM
I use several different 10' & 12' rods with openface spinning reels. These length rods are usually front heavy, even with a reel attached. To make the rod balance in my hand, I use lead weights inside the handle (if I can pry off the butt cap) or wrap the handle with THIN lead sheeting that is secured with racket or baseball bat tape. These modified, balanced rods are very comfortable to use.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
01-02-2013, 05:47 PM
I have spinning reels on all my long poles. I don't like to buy junk. So I just look at as if this will be the last reel I will ever put on the pole.

bowhunter012463
01-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Open face reels are the only ones I use and I do like Pflueger. I would leave the baitcaster to the bass fishermen, I owned one and didn't like it much, spent more time fixing all the bird nest.

sls
01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
I use fairly inexpensive reels. As previously stated, they are line holders. I use the crappie wizard 10 ft poles. I single pole fish. If you hold the line between your finger and the pole, when you set the hook, it does not apply any pressure to the reel. Makes them last longer. Also if you pull line when fishing deeper than 8 ft with your open hand, it saves the reel. Also saves time from re-setting your depth.

buffalo13
01-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Take a look at the new Sam Heatons. They have the rod seat at the end of the butt. They look awesome.

eatinfish
01-02-2013, 07:12 PM
I use the B&M's and they have served me well for years. I don't fish much deeper than the Rods, though.

Pookie
01-02-2013, 11:34 PM
I use a Bass Pro 500 series open face reel on all of my 10, 11,12 ft poles. They are $20.00 a piece and have performed fine. I bought a G Loomis Shakey Head rod from Craigslist this year. I don't care for it as a shakey head rod, but if I am crappie fishing, it is in the boat. Actually, it is my go to rod. It has a Shimano Stradic on it. A little pricey for crappie fishing, but it just works well for me.

CrappiePappy
01-03-2013, 02:42 AM
"Buster" ... you didn't say what reel you were using on the 10' Heaton. Is there a significant difference in the weight of the 10" Heaton & the 12' BnM ? I ask, because if there isn't, I would suggest trying that same reel on the 12' rod ... to see if it balanced it out. If it's too heavy you could always go down in size, too light and you could go up in size, still using the same brand/model reel. If it works, just get the same reel for the 12' rod.

Personally ...
Baitcast reels on rear seat poles are awkward feeling to me. And they require either turning the pole over (guides up), or reeling "backwards" if you turn the reel upside down. Neither one, IMHO, are comfortable or intuitive to use. I have two 8' fly rods that are outfitted, one with a spinning reel in the rear seat & the other a baitcast reel taped to the handle. While they "work", they're not often used for the simple reason that they are awkward to use. I taped the baitcast reel to the handle, after trying it in the rear seat & it not being comfortable to use. While I didn't use these outfits to jig with, the comfort & intuitive use principals are still viable factors to your case.

... cp :kewl

bugman
01-03-2013, 06:06 AM
I personally prefer spinning reels on my Ozark rods wether it be a standard jigpole or a rear real seat i just use a small Pflueger trion or a browning ultralight to keep the weight down as much as possible.Balance is never an issue with an Ozark standard 10' jigpole and small reel i can fish all day and can hardly tell i've had a jigpole in my hand.

Crappie Buster
01-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I've got a Diawa on my Sam Heaton and I like it a lot. The whole setup fishes really well to me and I kind of like the extra backbone the 10' Sam Heaton offers over the 9'er. My uncle fishes a 9'er with a BnM red can reel just like someone suggested. He likes the setup and it is amazing how much lighter that 9'er is than the 10' rods.

I normally fish deeper stuff with the 10' rod and use the 12' rod to fish depths less than rod length and the extra 2' helps to reach into the shallows come spring time.

The 12' rod is a rear reel seat and I guess that's why I've been hesitant about putting an openface on it. I've just felt like a fly reel was better suited for it. I believe I may buy one of those Hobbs Creek reels to try and another Diawa open face. I'll give them both a try and see which I like the best.

Thanks again for all the help and input!

ifish
01-03-2013, 06:38 PM
This is what I use exclusively. Wore out several underspins until I started using these. I use HTeck rods because they have Tennessee handles and I can move the reel to get that perfect balance. Had the rods for 8 yrs. and still in good shape. This is the cheapest I have ever found these reels. Be sure to get the 70yd/ 4lb capacity ( PFLCETINASC4UX ) because of the lighter weight. I usually do not buy from Walmart but this is a good deal!
Pflueger Cetina Underspin Spincast Reel: Fishing & Marine : Walmart.com (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pflueger-Cetina-Underspin-Spincast-Reel/20646603?srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=35-8562546-2&adid=1500000000000036337750&veh=cse)
Pflueger® Cetina (http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/Pflueger%C2%AE-Cetina%E2%84%A2-Spincast-Reel/1280272,default,pd.html#start=2)

no1son
01-04-2013, 12:54 AM
For all you long rodders, I would suggest that you also carry a short stick and do not overlook directly below the boat, especially if you have a small one and run it quietly. When I take my family out, which is normally the only time I have a boat, a very large portion of our crappies come from jigging straight down. The same rod works for that as for shooting docks OR getting in under overhanging trees. 5' is my open water standard, but then I have no boat and we don't have much in the way of stump fields around here; so conditions are somewhat different.

My reels are mostly the old fashioned black Shakespeare Alphas which anymore you can only get as part of an icefishing combo, with a couple of Pfleuger 4410 and 4420s (the 4420 has instant anti-reverse, but cost a bit more). These little ULs are very light, but all have smooth drags and will standup to much larger fish than crappies ever get. The newer Alpha models that aren't black or bronze colored are much poorer reels. Another option that is becoming real popular up here are the "in-line ice reels, an adaptation of the fly reel, often with a longer stem so that there is more free space between the reel and the handle and are designed with less space between the spool and the frame for fine lines to get behind. I will be using a Gentz model in-line quite a bit this winter for my one pole jigging through the ice, and I also use the little (24") ice rod quite a bit when jigging straight down over the edge of the boat or along dock pilings in the summer and that can be as deep as 20', although more commonly I will using either 4 or 5' UL or micro-UL rods for that. Jason Mitchell also offers a UL spinning reel designed for ice fishing with a larger diameter spool that worked well for me on open water last summer; that runs about 25 bucks, which is right in line with the Pfleugers. Eagle Claw introduced an inline ice reel that caught so much ice fishing attention that it was sold out everywhere before a lot of places even had ice.

I don't see any reason to use a baitcaster when jigging for crappies, and I may need 60 or 80 yards for some of the runs by bonus gamefish that show up around here every once in a while; so I do not use any of the closed face reels either.

Kman
01-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Take a look at the new Sam Heatons. They have the rod seat at the end of the butt. They look awesome.

You have my attention....I am a HUGE fan of the 9' Sam Heaton...I always check out anything that line of rods comes out with but havent seen this yet....I have a 9 and a 10 Sam heaton but the 10 stays at the house, too dang heavy, I have flipped MANY 1.5lb crappie in the boat with the 9', the sensitivity AND strength of that rod has amazed me for years. I will definitely take a look at the new back seated reel rod you mentioned, thanks!

bwomack_29
01-09-2013, 09:10 PM
i love the flueger cetina reels they are the under spin with the trigger cast and the best thing theyre only like 35 bucks and last forever

BTB
01-10-2013, 05:32 PM
I have two 8' rods (standard reel seat) with small spinning reels-each under $25. Reels are made to hold 4-6lb test line. They are well balanced, light, and I use these rods the most for vertical jigging with rod in hand. One rod is graphite and the other is glass.

I have two 12" rods (standard reel seat) with similar reels. They are front heavy. I need to put some weight in the rear of the handle as my bicep gets sore holding them for too long. I use these rods for vertical jigging with rod in hand or in rod holder. Both these rods are glass.