Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Out with Blue Fox and in with something new. Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Out with Blue Fox and in with something new. Suggestions?

Last year was complicated. I started out with the Blue Fox Flash Deep series in March and ended up with these guys...

As the year went on and i had to replace those spinners, I had a huge problem with the blades not spinning in the water correctly, no matter how many times i replaced pack either at Cabelas or Walmart. Finally it was suggested to bend the blade outward to create more drag, that worked for some but not for all, didn't produce the hits either.

So this year, I am throwing Blue Fox out the window and getting something else. The size lures i used last year were 1/8th oz. What i want is a small inline spinner that can run be retrieved slowly, either shallow or deep. Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCarter View Post
    What i want is a small inline spinner that can run be retrieved slowly, either shallow or deep.
    "Deep" is the problem with spinners. Their design makes them ideal for shallow water. For that purpose, the plain ol' Blue Fox Vibrax is a great spinners, as is Mepps.

If you want to go deeper, I'd forget about spinners. If you must have a blade, use a Road Runner or something like a Beetle Spin.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Charlie Brewer has some baits with spinners on them that are good. http://sliderfishing.com/Whirly-Bee_c45.htm
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Mepps have certainly stood the test of time. I also like the concept of the Charlie Brewer style pictured above. However, going deep is a per-requisite for a crappie sized spinnerbait, with a dog-ear type, clamp on sinker, on the lower shaft or hook, to achieve the depth you are looking for.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You may want to add a bit of weight forward of your in-line spinner, for deep running applications.

You might want to check out the Super Rooster Tail (spinnerbait style). Regular Rooster Tail spinners (in-line) may cause a bit of line twist, so if you go that route ... I'd recommend having a Sampo Ball Bearing Swivel on the line.

You'll generally know if the blade is spinning, if you have a decent action rod, as the rod tip will vibrate when retrieving. No vibration = no blade spin, but the spin can sometimes be engaged by a quick rod twitch.

All of this is from past experiences with in-line spinners, like the (reg) Rooster Tail, which had a O shaped line eye. Luhr-Jensen now makes the "Shyster" in-line spinner, and it has a angled line eye that helps reduce the lure's tendency to twist (roll over on retrieval).

DB4D has a point, about possibly going to the Roadrunner style baits. They are the one bait that I use, that has put as many or more Crappie in the boat (for me) than all the other type artificials I've ever used.

If you really don't want to add any weight to your line, in order to get the depth needed ... consider Charlie Brewer's Whirly Bee.

... cp

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The Charlie Brewer Charlie-Bee is also a great bait with a spinner blade Charlie Bee
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

A swivel with bullshot (water gremlin brand) about 18" up the line works for me.