Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing a day or two after heavy rain

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing a day or two after heavy rain

I went crappie fishing this past Saturday after having a decent amount of rain on Thursday and Friday. My wife went along and brought with her a bunch of muchies as she figured fishing would stink because of the rain and would at least have something to much on. Turns out she was right, it was plain aweful. I've heard some say that with the rain comes all the run off that sweeps with it various bugs and worms into the lake giving the fish a smorgasboard to feast on, after which they are not hungry for days. This makes sense to me, do others share this view? I never seem to have much luck the days after rain, any thoughts?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that current affects the bite more than muddy water or the presence of abundant food.

If that was the case in your situation, then the right thing to do is rig up some catfish rods and let 'em have it.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the fishing being less then wonderfull after a big rain. I fished last Saturday, Monday and Wed. on Blue springs and caught many crappie that were around 9-11". Then rain hit and I swear the lake went up at least 10" and I went out a day later and only could catch a few shorts in the same areas I was fishing, and some new areas. I think I'll give it a week next time it storms.

Post Thanks / Like

Could it be that the fish moved shallow with all the rain?
    I know a lot of fish will move in here when the water comes up from rain.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I fished shallow as well with no luck.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion