Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: More Fish Finder Talk

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Fish Finder Talk

I know that has been talked about a ton but I got some questions. I just purchased the Lowrance 4X DSI. Im curious if anybody else has this specific fish finder and what are the best ways to rig it. I have the Ascend FS10 sit in yak and im curious what the picture quality will be like if I try to mount the transducer on the inside and try to shoot threw the hull, or if anybody has better ideas on how to mount it
    Seth M.

Post Thanks / Like

I was about to buy that very unit a couple of days ago until I stumbled over their recommendation to not use that transducer inside the hull.

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw that as I was reading threw the owners manual. The manual refers to a boat hull but im curious how much a thin little kayak hull will affect it.
    Seth M.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Google Images, and search "transducer mount for kayak", ignore the ones that shoot-through the hull, but look at all the home-brew brackets made to solve the installation problem. I'm sure there's off the shelf mounts as well if you'd rather just buy as opposed to making your own.

Palmetto Kayak Fishing: DIY Portable Fishfinder For Your Kayak
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

You can go to HOOK 1and get you a Mad Frog Liberator Pad. You can do it through a kayak hull but you will lose quite a bit of definition. You can also buy Lowrances scupper mount if you have a SOT.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

You could also buy a plug of Duct Seal and try it quickly. It should be easy to undo if it's not working right. That's what I plan on using when I get mine in a few days. Going with the HB 346c DI.

Post Thanks / Like

all the above are viable options for you to try. Another option for mounting the TD is from Ram mounts, its a flexible arm, looks pretty cool and should be easy to mount. I use mad frog stuff for mine on my WS Ride 115, easy to attach and take off. Let us know how the dsi works if you try the shoot thru the hull. Might check out texaskayakfishermandotcom, they have a rigging forum and maybe someone there tried what you are thinking.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The duct seal works very well to hold the transducer but I'm not sure how the DI will work. I had my transducer mounted with the duct seal but after buying the setin kay I wanted to be able to use the same Fish Finder on both units so I built this unit. It is held on by two wing nuts and it works great.

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  32.8 KBName:  014.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  40.2 KBName:  017.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  80.1 KBName:  018.jpg
Views: 4411
Size:  66.8 KB

You will like the Lowrance 4X DSI. I have that FF on my Tracker to watch while I'm longlining from the back of the boat. It works very well.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty much what I have mind. What's that that you have the battery in?
    Seth M.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcfrln View Post
    That's pretty much what I have mind. What's that that you have the battery in?
    I used a piece of 1 1/2" aluminium and bent it so the battery would fix inside then used a strap to hold it in place. Used rivets to mount the bracket to the cutting board. The cutting board you can get at Wal-Mart for under $5.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4