Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on mounting a trolling motor on a 10' Trip Angler kayak by Old Town

Post Thanks / Like

Question Advice on mounting a trolling motor on a 10' Trip Angler kayak by Old Town

Been looking at getting a trolling motor for my 10' Trip Angler and to be honest I am not sure where to start. My biggest questions are with mounting it and batterry placement I would suppose. Any suggestions on the best way to go about it?

-E

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have the weight capacity to spare for a TM and battery? You're rated at 325 pounds max, correct?
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

325 is a bunch for 1 guy. Not everybody been in Mississippi for the past month eating everything in sight!!
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    325 is a bunch for 1 guy. Not everybody been in Mississippi for the past month eating everything in sight!!
    How did I know when I saw you'd posted here you was gonna crack on my eatin' habits

Yes, but take 325- a 200 pound (or more ) person, add some gear, rod holders, seat, maybe an anchor, small cooler for lunch (heck there 10 pounds ),a few fish (hopefully), then add a 15-20 pound TM and 25-40 pounds for a battery to operate it for any worthwhile amount of time, and it adds-up quicker than you'd think. Plus I'd never want to run on the high end of weight capacity.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Hey man I am just jealous. I spent a month in MS in our RV when we were full timing. I would like some of that fine cooking for New Years. Hope you have a good one.
    I'll hush, don't want to hi jack the thread.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

You too....and I'll do the same.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to the weight concerns above, a 10' kayak is a pretty short boat to be adding a motor too. I would be concerned with it having enough keel that it would track straight while under power and not shimmy/slide around on the water surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    In addition to the weight concerns above, a 10' kayak is a pretty short boat to be adding a motor too. I would be concerned with it having enough keel that it would track straight while under power and not shimmy/slide around on the water surface.
    In regards to the weight concerns I should be good. I weigh 230 but dont bring the majority of the stuff you listed. I bring 2 rods and the tackle I prefer for whatever im going after. The weight of a trolling motor and battery should be A.O.K.

As far as tracking and movement in the water...the design of this yak vs. others ive seen is slightly different. It is wider at its mid section. While it cuts through the water very nicely, I wouldnt think a small trolling motor woild change that much (although im surr I could be very wrong haha

Post Thanks / Like

How are you wanting to mount the TM, off the side so you can tiller-steer, or off the back so it can be operated from the middle (via relocated speed/steering controls)? If it's the 1st, just go to Google Images and search "trolling motor on kayak" (or canoe). That's basically adding a 2x4 mount for the TM across the gunnels.

If it's the latter, Google BassYaks, or see my NuCanoe post. Battery placement would be wherever it best balances the weight.

1st way is much simpler than the 2nd, and I'd probably try that for starters, and if it works for you, you could re-mount it later (on the back).
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMoon View Post
    How are you wanting to mount the TM, off the side so you can tiller-steer, or off the back so it can be operated from the middle (via relocated speed/steering controls)? If it's the 1st, just go to Google Images and search "trolling motor on kayak" (or canoe). That's basically adding a 2x4 mount for the TM across the gunnels.

If it's the latter, Google BassYaks, or see my NuCanoe post. Battery placement would be wherever it best balances the weight.

1st way is much simpler than the 2nd, and I'd probably try that for starters, and if it works for you, you could re-mount it later (on the back).
    Outstanding...I was thinking the rear mount because I would think the side mount tm would cause the yak to lean a bit although again, im not totall
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonMoon View Post

Outstanding...I was thinking the rear mount because I would think the side mount tm would cause the yak to lean a bit although again, im not totally certain. Guess ill have to experiment a bit n figure it out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast