Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is it enough?

Post Thanks / Like

Default When is it enough?

Posts1,892 When is it enough?

Sandy & I went fishing today. As I set in the shack, I was looking around at the things I use to fish with. I rode out on a Can Am 2 Up ATV,using a Garmin GPS to find last years hot spot. Behind it a Shapell 2 person fish shack. Then I was looking at my Vexilar FL 18, and then at the underwater camera that Crappie2 was fishing with. We both have the latest ice rods & reels, $100's of dollars in tackle, tip ups, etc. A gas auger, and hand auger. A bucket of tip up minnows, can of spikes, another of wax worms. And I started remembering how this ice fishing all started for me . I had a spud my Dad made, a piece of brass welding rod with some 50lb test black line, a hook, red & white plastic bobber. For bait I cut golden rods and cut the worm out of the center. I had a 10qut. galvanized pail for my fish. I walked from home to the lake. Then started spudding holes till I could get some bites and catch some fish. If I went 10 times, I came home with fish 9 out of the 10. Today, with all this equipment? Came home empty handed laughing at myself.

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

Good story brought back some good memories...I agree with ya.....got ten jigging rods with reels hanging from garage ceiling...got probably 12 spider rigging rods with reels in back shed along with 8 heavier rods/reels for pushing cranks ( that I have never used, but just had to have)...more tackle than I have boxes for to store it in or the time to ever use it all... countless filet knives..rain suits..polarized glasses...depth finders.....etc. What I remember most is taking willow branches..twine... then looking under wet leaves for red worms or seining the creeks for minnows and setting bank lines out with my buddies on the river and staying out overnight with a camp fire going. We catch everything from catfish to drum to the occasional crappie and bass...We kept them all.

Post Thanks / Like

Its only enough when your content, be it with all the latest and greatest or the old faithfulls.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Same way in everything! I think back how it was when I started Bowhunting in "68" and how it is now. Do I kill more deer today? Yep! but then there are a lot more deer around than there was back then.

Do I have more fun today than I did back then? Not really, sometimes it almost turns into work. The key to enjoying any Hobby long term is to remember why you do it and keep the fun in it!

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

HA HA ...Man do you all bring back the old times for me also. What happened to the days all you needed was a ML spinning rod and 6lb. test mono with a white our chartr. twister tail. Caught all kinds of fish and had a lot of fun doing it. Now I go down to my man cave and just look at the walls of tackle and wonder where and why?????? Have fun. STEVE

Post Thanks / Like

See Cane Pole's response to Kosmo on the "death of Si/Di. bout sums it up . BB King

Post Thanks / Like

Great story and memories.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Have to spend your money on something, can't take it with ya!
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd agree with feelay. Everybody has to have some kind of interest. Ours is fishing and all the tools/gadgets that go with it. Does it improve our catch rate? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. My wife can't understand why I buy 1000.00's of dollars of equipment & still catch most of my fish on my one favorite pole and slip/bobber minnow combination. And I can't explain why either....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    Have to spend your money on something, can't take it with ya!
    For anyone who has that "problem", I've always got a list of stuff I'd like to have if'n ya got more money than you can find things to spend it on . Always willing to help out when I can
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast