Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone familiar with these? Hydrofoil Stabilizers?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Anyone familiar with these? Hydrofoil Stabilizers?

Hi
    I am thinking about maybe installing one of these on my boat. Anyone have any suggestions as to brand? They claim that they will 'improve ride, increase performance, out-of -the hole faster, increase top end speed, and stay on plane at lower speeds'. (which means more miles per gal)
    The brands I see listed in Cabelas catalog are Sting Ray and Doel-Fin.
    Anyone with any recommendations? Also, any pros and cons? I have a 50 hp Merc, 17 ft boat.
    Thanks

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have used one . realy can`t tell a lot of difference . i put a T&T on my boat that helps most of all . the boat i have now don`t have one . i have one on a old motor i think i will try . i have checked my speed with a gps . will put it on and see if it helps speed or hurts it .
    my therie is if it helped all boats they would make the finn on all like that . so i think it depends on the boat set up and dezine. check out this link

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-b...action=search2
    Last edited by papasage; 07-15-2006 at 03:00 PM.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

They are a crutch for a properly tuned and installed motor. That said, if your motor isn't tuned or installed correctly, they can have a positive result on your performance. They DON'T increase gas mileage or top speed.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Had A Friend Put One On A 135 ---did,nt Help The Boat That Much And His Lower Unit Cracked After He Put It On ???
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

There was one on the 200 Mariner on my 21-foot Kenner when I bought it and I took it off - seemed like it caused some drag and didn't help much at all. The boat would porpoise with or without it if I trimmed the motor too high. I moved as much weight forward (mainly batteries) and learned to trim the motor up just until it would start to porpoise and then trim it back down just a bit.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    There was one on the 200 Mariner on my 21-foot Kenner when I bought it and I took it off - seemed like it caused some drag and didn't help much at all. The boat would porpoise with or without it if I trimmed the motor too high. I moved as much weight forward (mainly batteries) and learned to trim the motor up just until it would start to porpoise and then trim it back down just a bit.
    Jerry...when you say 'trim the motor up just until it would start to porpoise' what does that mean? What does the boat do when it starts to porpoise? Is 'porpoise' some kind of high-tech term?...:p

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all who replied. Looks like [B][U]properly using tilt & trim will do about the same thing as these 'hydrofoil stabilizers'. As usual, lots of good info from people who know their stuff!!
    Just another reason to be a member of these forums!!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16ft bass boat with a 150 Merc on it. The fins enable me to maintain plane at a much lower speed thereby saving gas. True. they don't help all boats, but some they do. If I had it to do over, I would go with smart tabs. I have never read anything bad about them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have the doel-fin on my boat and yes they do make a difference on how fast they get the boat out of the water. You still have to adjust your tilt and trim as you go for maximum performance but the hydrofoils do help, and keep you up on plane at a slower speed.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Default porpoise

When the bow of your boat bounces on the water. Lower your power trim (in toward transom) and it should eliminate the bounce.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast