Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Has anyone ever used these?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone ever used these?

Has anyone ever used these tools to help them catch crappie & brim? I fish some deep clear lakes in Southern Missouri and wondered if one of these would help.

Temperature Plus Oxygen Meter

Compact and easy to read, this handy unit provides instant readings of the water temperature from 30ý to 90ýF and the dissolved oxygen content from 0 to 16 ppm in relation to temperature and altitude. Also measures water visibility from 0 to 100% to help choose the right lure color and even locate the thermocline. Unit comes complete with a weighted probe, 50 ft. cable, panel plate with cable storage and oxygen solubility table and a comprehensive guide book. Requires one AA battery (not included). One-year warranty

Fish Finder Thermometer/Depth Finder

Capture the depth and the incremental water temperature in less than a minute with this thermometer. Simply attach to your line and lower the unit into the water until it hits bottom. Reel the unit back in and hold the button to see the water temperature at five foot increments and the maximum depth of 100 feet. Includes temperature chart showing preferred water temperatures for most game fish. Works great in freshwater or saltwater. Can be used from a boat or shore. Large LCD digital display is easy to read. Compact and lightweight.
    Maximum depth: 100 ft.
    Dimensions: 3-1/2"L x 1-3/4"W x 1/2"D.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Well the Oxygen meter will tell you after the lake turned over that there is no Oxygen on or near the bottom. As for Temp, it can make a difference some times of the year if you are like searching for warmer water near the spawn. Some parts of the lake will be warmer than others, but the deeper water will not change all that fast.

You will even catch a lot of catfish on a trot line that has your bait only down say 8' deep. I know a guy that makes his living fishing 6'-9' deep in 30' of water. Many fish in the hot summer will be in the middle layer of water. Just enough to find cooler water and plenty of oxygen.

I just go by surface temp anyway and my regular sonar has that already. I think you don't really need that stuff. I mean you know in the Spring they will be shallow to about 12' deep moving in and out. After the spawn you know they are headed for water 20'-35' deep and suspend down about 12'-20'. I know these are general terms that we all know and with that just find the bait fish and brush/structure and you will find the crappie.

So if you like that other stuff it's fine and can be used some, but not necessary IMHO!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    Well the Oxygen meter will tell you after the lake turned over that there is no Oxygen on or near the bottom. As for Temp, it can make a difference some times of the year if you are like searching for warmer water near the spawn. Some parts of the lake will be warmer than others, but the deeper water will not change all that fast.

You will even catch a lot of catfish on a trot line that has your bait only down say 8' deep. I know a guy that makes his living fishing 6'-9' deep in 30' of water. Many fish in the hot summer will be in the middle layer of water. Just enough to find cooler water and plenty of oxygen.

I just go by surface temp anyway and my regular sonar has that already. I think you don't really need that stuff. I mean you know in the Spring they will be shallow to about 12' deep moving in and out. After the spawn you know they are headed for water 20'-35' deep and suspend down about 12'-20'. I know these are general terms that we all know and with that just find the bait fish and brush/structure and you will find the crappie.

So if you like that other stuff it's fine and can be used some, but not necessary IMHO!
    I fish deep clear water lakes here in the ozarks. Mostly over 100+ feet deep and knowing the thermocline from june till late fall is a must. Some of these lakes never have a turn over like they do in other parts of the nation.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing