Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Time to hang it up

Post Thanks / Like

Default Time to hang it up

Got to my favorite gill spot, deep weeds close to very deep water. Time 0500, put the trolling motor down, and heard loud music coming off the island behind me, next the big motot starting. 0505, water skiers!! Went to spot #2 fished for two hours, caught 15 keepers, and the boat traffic started getting heavier, back at the ramp, 0730.This is ridiculus, Ilive only 9 miles from a river, which is too cold to ski, and too cold for the jet skiers, only problem is its only got trout, and a few walleye. But its beter than just sitting at home.Of course qwith thwese 90 degree temps, that isn't that bad an idea either. October is 3 months away.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, I can't believe the lice were out that early. It's a good thing that they wait around here until the mid-morning hours. Maybe if you go Sunday morning, they will have severe enough hangovers that they don't wake up that early.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the "lice" were out for the same reasons as you. These days recreational lakes are seeing more use by non fisherman then in years past. Also not all jet skiers are of the drinking age, so don't count on sundays or early morning being the peaceful time on the water.

I have found that as long as they don't play in the area i'm fishing. No harm done. The fish get use to the boating activity.

If worst comes to worst. Try night fishing.

BB

Post Thanks / Like

That is the reason I go back in the deepest hole I can and am thankful that most of the lakes I fish are full of trees.:D
    Hope your lines stay wet and your livewells full.:D

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

no matter how big a lake is they seam to git clos to where you are fishing and play . was fishing a dock and the one next to me 2 kids wer playiong with a jet sie . they would keave the dock and come right by me when they could go the oyher way and stay slow till they got out of my aera but they wouldn`t . the older people wer sitting on the dock and not saying a word to them . i don`t fish in the summer at lake except at night and sunday morning till 12 noon . maby should be in church but that is the onley day time fishing i can git in .daylight till 9:00 am isen`t bad . i have to drive 50 miles
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think the river is any better than the lake

I had my first encounter with a water mocassin a couple of weeks ago. We were fishing the river and buddy got hung up (said a fish took him there). As we got up close to the laydown, I saw the moc. I had just slid the boat in to where he could get close to the snag...still sliding sideways straight at the snake. FULL POWER FORWARD AND START PRAYIN. All turned out ok, we got really close to him but didn't touch him or wake him up.

HOWEVER, while all this was going on, a ski boat (too big for the river), was powering right up the river making the biggest wake possible. As soon as I was away from the snake, I had to deal with his wake. I couldn't help but think "what if he had come by just 20 seconds sooner?" The waves would have hit me just as I saw the snake...total chaos, I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet old no shoulders was not sleeping at all....just laying there thinking
    "if this fool gets alittle closer" They'll lay up there all calm and streched out but can head raise about 9 inches in less than a second...When that mouth opens I give them the far away salute or the working end of MY snake stick.

I bet he was thinking the same thing about that big wake...dang skiers cant let a snake nap for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by slabbatical
    Don't think the river is any better than the lake

I had my first encounter with a water mocassin a couple of weeks ago. We were fishing the river and buddy got hung up (said a fish took him there). As we got up close to the laydown, I saw the moc. I had just slid the boat in to where he could get close to the snag...still sliding sideways straight at the snake. FULL POWER FORWARD AND START PRAYIN. All turned out ok, we got really close to him but didn't touch him or wake him up.

HOWEVER, while all this was going on, a ski boat (too big for the river), was powering right up the river making the biggest wake possible. As soon as I was away from the snake, I had to deal with his wake. I couldn't help but think "what if he had come by just 20 seconds sooner?" The waves would have hit me just as I saw the snake...total chaos, I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like

likely so...and I've seen bigger ones in your neck of the woods. There's actually a water snake (not a moc) on the tombigbee that gets huge!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hang in there

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski
    Got to my favorite gill spot, deep weeds close to very deep water. Time 0500, put the trolling motor down, and heard loud music coming off the island behind me, next the big motot starting. 0505, water skiers!! Went to spot #2 fished for two hours, caught 15 keepers, and the boat traffic started getting heavier, back at the ramp, 0730.This is ridiculus, Ilive only 9 miles from a river, which is too cold to ski, and too cold for the jet skiers, only problem is its only got trout, and a few walleye. But its beter than just sitting at home.Of course qwith thwese 90 degree temps, that isn't that bad an idea either. October is 3 months away.

Hang in there buddy, They aren't there every day. Weekend can get busy sometimes, Just be patient... You'll get your fishin spot back

Gonefission
    Bill