PDA

View Full Version : Terra nova 80 or fortex 80

goofy1
12-27-2012, 08:06 PM
If going to fish for bass and crappie which would be best? I don't know anything about terra nova 80 but know that I guess you can set it to hold a spot or troll a certain area or depth?? Will it still work good running it fishing for bass or would it be slow because electric?

crappielimits
12-27-2012, 08:37 PM
If the batteries are charged and in good condition, the terrova will react as fast as the fortex and with better control. I would not own a troller without the I-pilot feature. It takes practice to learn the foot pedal, but the Terrova is much better. The fortex will not have autopilot, ipilot or ilink capability. One of these is a must for multi-pole crappie fishing. You can set it to slowly move down a bank or ledge at the speed you want for bass fishing also. You should be on water with an experienced Terrova operator before passing it up. When I fished Crappie USA and Crappiemasters 8 out of 10 boats were using Minn Kota electric steer motors.

TxBigRed
12-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Sure wish there was one on that Xpress I just bought. :-) The Terrova 80 only comes in 45" and 60" shaft length. 45 seems like it would be to short and 60 too long. Riptide comes in 54 though. I will be getting one or the other for the new Xpress.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

goofy1
12-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Funny! I guess I need to need to go out with someone that knows how to use it and see if something I could learn to use and like.

TxBigRed
12-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Monte,
Come on down. I've got a Riptide on my old boat. It has compass based autopilot and copilot remote. I want to get one with gps based autopilot. That will be my first upgrade.

Rees Guide
12-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Its not any trouble to learn. Was told I would not like it single-poling but they were wrong. Sold my PD with a co-pilot and got me a Terrova, have never had the foot pedal hooked up, only use the remote. Best tool in my boat period.

MeanV2
12-27-2012, 10:18 PM
I Like my Terrova!

Dan

SeaRay
12-27-2012, 11:22 PM
One immediate application I can think of for Bass fishing, (I mostly fish for crappie and bream now) is the auto pilot compass and cruise control. If you want to fish a long stretch of shore line with crank bait or worm or spinner, all you do is point the motor in the direciton you want to travel, select the speed you want and away you go, All you go to do is fish and if it is a productive stretch you can record the track and it will take you back over it from either direction. Also if you hook a fish and have to play him in and want to hold in that spot, just hit the spot lock and it will hold you in that spot. This is really useful is the wind is blowing and you are fighting the fish and not paying attention to boat position.
Pretty cool huh? :ThumbsUp

Dutch552
12-28-2012, 12:41 AM
I own a Terrova 80 54" with iPilot on my bass boat and use the iPilot remote exclusively, never used the pedal except playing around with it when I first installed the TM. I am a multispecies fisherman that fishes for crappie, walleye, bass and catfish and wouldn't own another TM. My next boat will have a Terrova with iPilot. The ONLY situation that I have ever encountered where the Terrova, or any other electric steer TM for that matter, has been a downfall is bass fishing HEAVY timber where it is nearly impossible to avoid colliding with submerged wood. The continued impacts to the TM lower unit and shaft cause a lot of stress on the transmission because there is not a spring loaded mount on these motors such as the Fortrex to absorb the impact and deflect the shaft. My bass tournament partner has a Fortrex on his Nitro Z9 that we fish out of and it is an elite cable steer TM but I won't be going back from the Terrova.

Cray
12-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Sure wish there was one on that Xpress I just bought. :-) The Terrova 80 only comes in 45" and 60" shaft length. 45 seems like it would be to short and 60 too long. Riptide comes in 54 though. I will be getting one or the other for the new Xpress.

Should be able to get it with 54 also.

BigRiverMarine
12-28-2012, 10:42 AM

The 45 will be plenty on any Xpress. I just had them build me an H20PFC demo, and I put the Terriva 80-45 on it. The shafts can be cut to whatever length you want. It's easy.

Big River Marine
Bill Burnett
870-635-0202

We sell XPRESS, EXCEL, and ALWELD Boats. Yamaha, Suzuki, Evinrude, Mud Buddy, and Tohatsu/Nissan Engines.
Pro Staff, Southern Pro Tackle and Ozark Rods.
Member, Tri-State Crappie Anglers

goofy1
12-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Go to basszone.com and look on for sale page. On second thirty post page it has a used terrova 80 ipilot someone is selling off there Skeeter and it has a 50in shaft. Shows only used 5 times and he is upgrading to 36 volt for his 21 ft Skeeter.

TxBigRed
12-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Dang it, he is in Atoka, OK...just drove by there twice last weekend...DOH!!!!

HLLeonard
12-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Its not any trouble to learn. Was told I would not like it single-poling but they were wrong. Sold my PD with a co-pilot and got me a Terrova, have never had the foot pedal hooked up, only use the remote. Best tool in my boat period.
--
I am in the market for an I-piot in the spring, I have watched all the videos and read everything I can find about the motors... You said you traded out the pd for the terova... The difference in the price of the two is around $300 and you say you don't use the foot pedal which comes with the terova, are there any other benefits to spending 300 dollars more to get the terova over the cheaper one... Terova is around 1250 and the other one is 935 or so, that is a big chunk of change and am wondering just what you are getting for your money.

Rees Guide
12-29-2012, 11:22 AM
The auto pilot/advanced auto pilot and speed control are worth their weight in gold. The foot pedal is there in the dry storage but I have never hooked it up, but it is there for a backup in case something were to happen to my remote. If you fish by yourself it will spoil you very much, well worth the diffeence in money. I put it in the same catagory with buying a fish finder with or without a GPS, GPS wins hands down every time.

HLLeonard
12-29-2012, 12:15 PM
The auto pilot/advanced auto pilot and speed control are worth their weight in gold. The foot pedal is there in the dry storage but I have never hooked it up, but it is there for a backup in case something were to happen to my remote. If you fish by yourself it will spoil you very much, well worth the diffeence in money. I put it in the same catagory with buying a fish finder with or without a GPS, GPS wins hands down every time.
--
Thanks... I was leaning toward the terova mostly because of the foot pedal... Have always had motors with the pedal and not sure I would be comfortable without it but was just wondering what the other differences in the two were... When you look at the functionality of the two, they seem to be pretty close to the same except for the foot pedal.

Rees Guide
12-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Another difference in the Terovva verses the PD is that with the remotes the PD has 10 speeds and the Terrova has 20 so you can slow it down more. Also with both the foot pedal is infinate control on prop speed, good luck

HLLeonard
12-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Another difference in the Terovva verses the PD is that with the remotes the PD has 10 speeds and the Terrova has 20 so you can slow it down more. Also with both the foot pedal is infinate control on prop speed, good luck
--
Thanks for helping me out, I appreciate it... I didn't know about the speeds... I guess if I go with the terova, I won't regret spending the extra money, with the v2 I will probably wish I had gotten the better model... If you don't mind me asking, does the stow a deploy feature work ok...I have heard that some guys have trouble with that on one or the other but I'm not sure which.

Rees Guide
12-29-2012, 03:39 PM
PD used to be a pin in the butt to fool with but the new ones re better, Terrova deploy and stoy is breeze compared to the old PD.

HLLeonard
12-29-2012, 03:48 PM
PD used to be a pin in the butt to fool with but the new ones re better, Terrova deploy and stoy is breeze compared to the old PD.
--
Thanks again, you have probably helped me make up my mind, I was just about there already although 300 dollars is a pretty good up-charge.... Now I can't wait until spring... It is hard to believe these motors perform as well as guys who have them say they do... Have not read even one bad review about them... I suspect not having to fight the trolling motor will spoil a fisherman really quick.