Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: got a question oncrappie beds?

Post Thanks / Like

Default got a question oncrappie beds?

has anyone ever heard of sinking haybales? my dad said they used to do it years ago to attract slabs. is it legal? any info would be great!!!

tight lines and GOD bless!!!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cully crappie View Post
    has anyone ever heard of sinking haybales? my dad said they used to do it years ago to attract slabs. is it legal? any info would be great!!!

tight lines and GOD bless!!!

Cully ... I know of a certain dock on Watts Bar Lake, that had bales sunk around its walkway & boat slip edges/ends. There were Crappie being caught from around them, one Spring weekend that I was there. Now, whether or not the bales were key, or not, I can't really say. I don't even know what type of bales they were (what they were made of). It was also Spring spawn time, and the dock posts may have already been a point of interest/use, by the Crappie, before the bales were dropped.

I do know that bales have been dropped in lakes, so I'm sure "someone" thinks they're doing something to create a "spot" for fish ... but, what particular species they believe will use these bales ...

The legality issue is probably a matter to take up with the TWRA, or your local COE, as they would know which lakes allow the planting of cover, what types are allowed, and whether or not you have to have a permit (or just verbal permission).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

should attract sheephead or redhorse! lol

yes, i have seen brand new ponds get some hay bales placed in them before filled. cant tell ya why though.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why or how it works but I have seen people put bales of hay in a new pond as well. I was told it helps to seal the bottom off.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid which was many moons ago it was common
    to put bales of alfaha hay in lakes and bayous to draw in bait
    minnows for crappie.Don't know if helped but most crappie
    fishermen did it.

Post Thanks / Like

I had heard (from an old bait shop guy) that alfalfa in a pond promotes organism growth that would help get rid of that slimey moss that would grow on farm ponds in the summer. I tried it one time and it worked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpdawg View Post
    I had heard (from an old bait shop guy) that alfalfa in a pond promotes organism growth that would help get rid of that slimey moss that would grow on farm ponds in the summer. I tried it one time and it worked.

I read this somewhere. Can't remember where though. Im sure it was a book about ponds, just don't remember the title.

Post Thanks / Like

yea the hay or barley straw helps keep alge and string alge from takeing over a pond. i dont think it has anything to do with fish structure but any structure will hold fish.
    Happy Hooken.....

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of bales of any kind used for structure and can't see it lasting long however like Slab Slayen said barley straw bales have been used to kill algae and other unwanted aquatic weeds.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why it wouldn't work. I've seen new pond with hay bale and I just thought it was to keep the banks from washing in from the rains intil the grasses took over.
    Lets go soak a line. Pat