Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Adding plastics to a jig?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adding plastics to a jig?

I heard that this can be done sometimes to make the bait appear more bulky and possibly give it more action. Now i have never seen someone practice this method nor have I seen anything that would give me an indication of what type of plastic to use or what type of jig to use.

My attempts to add the plastic to the back of the jig

I just want some feedback on if anyone has used a plastic for a jig, or if some people think this method won't work, or anything like that. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have added a plastic minnow/grub to a caribou jig before, usually a panfish assassin, but any grub should work that will give a bit more action/weight/color. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Thinking outside the box is not a bad thing. Not much different than adding a live minnow
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I just add a fat minnow...
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

we use to fish Marabou thread neck jigs with a soft plastic worm tail for bass. A thread neck jig would probable work better.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with Skip about the thread neck. The Chenille will really make it difficult for the metal to penetrate the roof of the crappie's mouth if you have chenille as well as a plastic. When I want a bigger profile I use a 1/16th sickle jig with no collar. Tie on some marabou to make it flare out then add a soft plastic trailer of a contrasting color ...or just add a small minnow. Remember you will want the fish to get to the metal hook so keep that in mind. SOmetimes I will use a hook and a 2.5" piece of soft plastic lil squirt for a bigger profile. The Squirt is in my siggy.

Mike Carter
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it. I'll look into getting more thread neck jigs.