Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal jig casting rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ideal jig casting rod?

Whats the ideal length, action, and power for casting 1/16 oz jigs or less? I was thinking 7 ft fast action ul.. Should i go shorter/longer? I was looking at the bps micro lite graphite and the bps mighty lite crappie maxx. Does anyone have experience with either of these rods or other recommendations around 50$? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

5-7' light or UL action. You'll get more casting distance with a longer rod.

The BPS Microlite is a good option in that price range. As rapman1 mentioned in another thread, Cabela's has their Fish Eagle II rods marked way down. Check 'em out:

Cabela's: Cabela's Fish EagleŽ II Spinning Rods – '08

Post Thanks / Like

I personally prefer to use a 7' Eagle Claw Trailmaster. Fiberglass makes for great fish sticks.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    But don't forget the Roadrunners

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My go to casting rod is a Berkley Lightning Rod. 6'6" medium action with a soft tip makes it easy to cast 1/32 and an assassin. 4lb hi vis makes this rod a dream. Use a 7' rod for adding a float to the rig, 6lb is better for that.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to beat B n' M's, Sam's Supersentive. This 7' UL will work phenomenally with 1/16 oz. jigs. I have two.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite for several years has been a 6ft All Star GT-40x light (not UL) action that easily handles light weight jigs. My favorite jig weight for casting is 1/24oz. The All Star cost about your limit when I bought it several years ago. I still use it but it has been replaced as my favorite jig casting rod by a Falcon BuCoo Spinning BCS-1L-16 (6ft light action, made in USA.) It's about 50% more $$ than you listed but after using it I would pay double that price!
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple BPS microlite float n fly rods, 8' and 9', that are really good.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassandcats View Post
    Whats the ideal length, action, and power for casting 1/16 oz jigs or less? I was thinking 7 ft fast action ul.. Should i go shorter/longer? I was looking at the bps micro lite graphite and the bps mighty lite crappie maxx. Does anyone have experience with either of these rods or other recommendations around 50$? Thanks!
    I think you'd be better off staying between 6'6" & 8' for a jig casting rod. Fast action tips work very well for the light jigs @ 1/16oz & less. But, I don't know as I'd recommend a UL in that length ... probably would go with a "lite".
    Can't say anything, one way or the other, about BPS rods ... don't have any & never used any. What I do have, as my primary jig casting rod, is a 6'6" ESP PowerLite rod. Fast action tip, micro guides on the top half, split handle (poodle tail), Tenn style graphite handle w/rings, high modulus IM6 graphite blank, and a vibration modification system built into the handle, are it's features.
    Prior to that I used a Sam Heaton Signature Series 7' IM6 rod ... but, it's a softer action/power & has a parabolic bend. The ESP has a xtra fast action speed tip & graphite Tenn style handle, which I like better.

More importantly, though ... is what reel you intend to put on the rod you choose. Remember, the wider or longer the spool ... the greater distance & less coils in your line.

If you intend to use a slipfloat .... forget the ESP line of rods (micro guides !!) and look for something with normal to oversized guides & rod tip eye.

Just my

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

spend a few extra bucks and you could get an entry level st croix......get a fast action, light or UL power between 6 &7ft and you should be happy

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to like ultra light rods 6'6" to 7' when casting for crappie, never used anything longer though. The longer rod makes the hook set easier in the deep water I fish most of the time. I carried over my ideas on rods from bass fishing to crappie, buy the best rods you can afford then put a decent reel on it. I've caught more fish on a good rod than a good reel, if I can't feel them bite I can't reel them in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast