Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: While on the subject of crappie lights.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default While on the subject of crappie lights.....

Of the people who use the submergible lights, how deep do you have your light while fishing?

I always have the top of my light about 6" down from the top of the water. I have often thought about dropping it down a foot or two, but for some reason have not. Thought I'd ask on here since there seem to be a fair amount of night stalkers on here.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on the water clarity where you fish. I personally fish in clear lakes so I don't drop mine down but about a couple feet. there are a few other reasons as well. 1) I have an unpainted aluminum boat so the light reflects off the bottom increasing the output. 2) No matter what side I drop the light from, I get enough light to the other side of the boat so I have a light circle instead of just a half circle. 3) when I hook a fish I won't get tangled in the cord. 4) the light still shines up enough so I can see my line. 5) the bugs will be chasing a light thats under water so they don't buzz my ears so much.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I drop mine down just till where I just can see the bulb clearly. Usually around 2-3 feet. Before long they are swamped with baitfish. I've only used the starfires this summer. I've got some greens i'm gonna try next time out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default depth of light

I know I'm dumb and ignorant but I am not sure it makes a lot of difference what depth you put the light at. I've used floating lights, submersable white lights at different depths and green lights at different depths also. It seems like, if my poor ole memory isn't failing me too bad that I've caught fish under and around all of 'em at one time or the other. I am tending to think that it is really a matter of preferance of what the individual likes or feels comfortable with. If I'm wrong and very well could be, someone please help me. I think I need all the help I can get catchin' these things anyway.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Post Thanks / Like

I was putting it out here just to get a cross-section opinion from all of us nightstalkers. I myself have really only tried it one way,(guess I'm not all that adventerous). I figure it never hurts to ask, and the more you know.

Post Thanks / Like

i fish my lights about a foot deep, just under the boats bottom for no other reason than if i go deeper, a lot of times bigger fish will get wrapped around the cord.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bigger Fish??

I am not sure I have EVER had that problem--Bigger fish getting tangled up in the light. Maybe one night?
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smedley
    It really depends on the water clarity where you fish. I personally fish in clear lakes so I don't drop mine down but about a couple feet. there are a few other reasons as well. 1) I have an unpainted aluminum boat so the light reflects off the bottom increasing the output. 2) No matter what side I drop the light from, I get enough light to the other side of the boat so I have a light circle instead of just a half circle. 3) when I hook a fish I won't get tangled in the cord. 4) the light still shines up enough so I can see my line. 5) the bugs will be chasing a light thats under water so they don't buzz my ears so much.

I was hinting toward personal preference. there is no set way to use a light. whatever works for you is the right way. this is just the way I like to use mine. No bugs, no tangles, can see my line, can fish out of both sides
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Having a bad day or something Carl?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    i fish my lights about a foot deep, just under the boats bottom for no other reason than if i go deeper, a lot of times bigger fish will get wrapped around the cord.

that would be awesome! i never get to use lights, because whoever i am with complains about bugs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast