Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun control versus freedom of the press etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gun control versus freedom of the press etc?

In the long term, what do you feel would reduce the crime rate in the US?
    Gun control or censoring the news media, entertainment industry and video game manufacturers from all the violent crap that is fed to our people everyday?
    I don't know about anybody else, but those violent TV shows and movies don't leave me feeling all rosy and calm after watching them. Actually I won't watch them anymore. I won't watch the TV news with them 24/7 reporting on the murder of 26 innocent people either. Report it once, I don't need to see it day after day. I think we would see a dramatic reduction of crime in the long term if we stopped feeding the violence to people and children, and instead promoted more pleasant entertainment. The news and movie folks are on a roll for gun control, I think the American public should be on a roll to censor them.

Post Thanks / Like

Limiting the 1st Amendment is no different than limiting the 2nd.

If you don't agree with them, simply don't exercise them.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMoon View Post
    Limiting the 1st Amendment is no different than limiting the 2nd.

If you don't agree with them, simply don't exercise them.
    Yes, limiting the 1st is no different. That's not my question though. Which would have a more dramatic effect on crime?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Control = black market, be it guns or DVDs. Ask Al Capone or other gangster thugs.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Neither one would do any good. Keep thinking and you may come up with a few ideas that will help the situation. It's 8:00AM. Do you know where your children are?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I left out the other gangster named Kennedy. A true black market benefactor.

I prefer the term "containment". Just do the best we can do to contain evil.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Cane Pole you left out a couple of others, but this week is not one for fighting.

Happy Holidays to you and all.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by no1son View Post
    Hey Cane Pole you left out a couple of others, but this week is not one for fighting.

Happy Holidays to you and all.
    And to you, sir

As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world, too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read, or play on the computer, until 4 AM, or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50, 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. If they are lucky they, too will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful, but there again, some of life is just as well forgotten, and,…I eventually remember the important things.

Yes, over the years, my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But, broken hearts are what give us strength, and understanding, and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile, and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore.
    I've even earned the right to be wrong.

In short, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been or worrying about what will be,…and I shall eat dessert (something chocolate I hope) every single day if I feel like it.

May our friendship never come apart, especially if it’s from the heart.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    Yes, limiting the 1st is no different. That's not my question though. Which would have a more dramatic effect on crime?
    Neither, as mentioned. Those committing the crimes don't care what the rules, laws, or Constitution say. When you don't play by any "rules", what effect will changing the rules have? Some people are just scum, and have no concern of others or value human life. As the population increases, so will those numbers.

Once it's determined who those people are, they simply need to rid the planet of them. Too many are given hospitality for life, at the expense of taxpayers. Book 'em and cook 'em, set an example for others.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMoon View Post
    Neither, as mentioned. Those committing the crimes don't care what the rules, laws, or Constitution say. When you don't play by any "rules", what effect will changing the rules have? Some people are just scum, and have no concern of others or value human life. As the population increases, so will those numbers.

Once it's determined who those people are, they simply need to rid the planet of them. Too many are given hospitality for life, at the expense of taxpayers. Book 'em and cook 'em, set an example for others.
    I feel the same, but who and how is the determination made? That's the $64,000 question. As it stands now, Ya can't violate the right to free speech gun ownership or personal privacy. As in the title to one of Jack Nicholson's movie's, "Somethings Gotta Give".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast