Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Flyfishing bluegill with spinning gear?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flyfishing bluegill with spinning gear?

I have a couple of clear bobbers and would like to try fly fishing with my UL spinning gear. How long should the leader be? Does the splash of the clear bobber scare away the bluegill? Has anyone used this method and is it effective? And what flies should I purchase? Any tips are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the technique some, for small trout and bluegill. I usually put my casting bubble 12" or 18" above my fly. Locally, bluegill hit ants, any type of midge pattern and copper johns. I make black foam ants with supplies I get from Netcraft. We also have a bunch of cheap flies that come in an assortment pack from South Bend that we bought at KMart. The gills tear them up pretty fast and it's easier to buy them for me (with my limited skills) than to tie them..
    I've also picked up small LM bass on wooly buggers.

Something else we do if the trout or gills are surface feeding, is just put an unweighted hook with a waxworms on the line where it drifts just below the surface behind the bubble - Roberta.
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

i used to fish with an older gentlman(he was bout as old as i am now!) that used spinningear with a bubble and a poppin bug. he taught me a secret i've used with my flyrod ever since...let it sit...the longer ya can let it sit still, the bigger the brim ya gonna catch. i've seen him catch a 12 incher beside a drain pipe in a pond we fished after lettin it sit 2 full minutes!