Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Filet knife question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Filet knife question

Does the size of the blade make a difference when cutting up different fish? For example would a 4" filet knife make a difference cutting up a bluegill vs. a 9" filet knife?

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCarter View Post
    Does the size of the blade make a difference when cutting up different fish? For example would a 4" filet knife make a difference cutting up a bluegill vs. a 9" filet knife?
    Chris, I have found that the longer blade works better on small or large fish. It has more flex , so you tend not to cut through the smaller fish. I use a 9" Rapala blade.

I feel the longer blade works better whether you are using an electric knife or regular filet knife.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I am the opposite Don. I like the smaller blade for Crappie unless I am filleting a larger one. I use the 7" and 11" blades. I use the larger blades for Walleye, Northern pike, and Bass. I feel that I have more control over the blade with the smaller one. I don't care for too much flex when I am cleaning fish. I do use both small and large blades tho. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Well i bought a 9" blade last summer, i figured i would go with the largest blade i could find. What i didn't want was to get a blade that wasn't large enough to go through the fish all the way, like a catfish.

Anyway, a friend of mine gave me a smaller 7" filet knife for Christmas (yes i opened my Christmas gift early) and i remembered some folks had smaller filet knives, below 7" and i thought could there be a difference between cutting up a crappie or bluegill with a smaller knife vs a larger one.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    I am the opposite Don. I like the smaller blade for Crappie unless I am filleting a larger one. I use the 7" and 11" blades. I use the larger blades for Walleye, Northern pike, and Bass. I feel that I have more control over the blade with the smaller one. I don't care for too much flex when I am cleaning fish. I do use both small and large blades tho. EB
    Beav, a 7" blade would not work for the crappie I catch......
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p