PDA

View Full Version : How often

Gindog
12-21-2012, 11:38 AM
How often do you buy the same rod and reel. I have been looking online for some new poles/reels. There a lot of adds that say if you buy 3 we give you a discount. Now I like getting discounts but what am I going to do with 3 pole and reels all the same and only two hands to save a dime. It not like you have 1-10' 1-12' 1-14' and get a discount or am I like in the wrong spot for poles. Thanks God it Christmas and I can have a smile on my face:biggrin

MeanV2
12-21-2012, 11:55 AM
I think I have like 14 rods and reels, most of them are 10 footers but no 2 are alike. Several BnM's but even they are different models.

Dan

"G"
12-21-2012, 11:59 AM
most spider riggers in my area....buy their poles in sets of 4 or 8.....all matching, all the same length.

Rees Guide
12-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Try Grizzly Jig, call em and tell them what you are looking for and see what they can do. Good folks and dang good prices and still give personal service.

dandeman
12-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Try Grizzly Jig, call em and tell them what you are looking for and see what they can do. Good folks and dang good prices and still give personal service.

X2!!! Lou is a very friendly and helpful man.

Mumpy
12-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Yea, as they've already mentioned, those discounts are geared towards Spider Riggers that purchase Rod and Reel Combos in 4 to 8 Quantities

Gindog
12-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Lol I have not got into spidering yet. I have not got one pole down :yikes yet.

Bronson
12-21-2012, 08:49 PM
I keep between 4-5 casting rods & reels that match. I then have another 5 short rods for tightlining that match and two other longer rods that match for tightlining. I believe in matching up as much as possible and usually put different colored plastics to find what the fish are wanting.

Many days I've had 8-9 poles in the boat at the same time and have wound up using only one pole. I was glad to have the others there just in case I needed them. I also believe in buying backups of some rods and reels in case they quit making them or the quality changes.

MEATGETTER
12-21-2012, 09:25 PM
get you a couple 11ft ozarks is all you need!!!!!!!

Mikie
12-21-2012, 09:49 PM
I keep between 4-5 casting rods & reels that match. I then have another 5 short rods for tightlining that match and two other longer rods that match for tightlining. I believe in matching up as much as possible and usually put different colored plastics to find what the fish are wanting.

Many days I've had 8-9 poles in the boat at the same time and have wound up using only one pole. I was glad to have the others there just in case I needed them. I also believe in buying backups of some rods and reels in case they quit making them or the quality changes.
Glad I'm not the only one that brings a lot of rods because you just don't know how they might bite.

skeetbum
12-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Grizzly is the one that offers 3 rod discount. Call them if you want to talk about a special order, you won't find anyone more accommodating.

CrappiePappy
12-22-2012, 03:01 AM
gindog ... I only have two rods that are exact matches. My other 17 Crappie outfits are a "dukes mixture" of 5' - 10' rods, outfitted with spinning reels (from UL to Med "Bass" sized), spincast reels, and baitcast reels.

Even when I'm using my rod holders, none of the rods in it are the same length. But, I'm not really into spider rigging ... and use the rod holder mostly for tightline trolling/drifting. I may use it for some longline trolling, in the near future. I prefer to "one pole" fish, mainly casting jigs & shooting docks. I still prefer the "thump", or "tic" in the line ... but, I'm not opposed to watching a float disappear, or rod tip bend.

The rods I use most often are :

6'6" ESP Powerlite - casting jigs
5'6" ESP UL - dock shooting jigs
7' Bionic Blade - casting Roadrunners, Whirly Bees, metallic baits
8' BnM FnF rod - casting jigs, Float n Fly use (jig/float), slipfloat/live bait use

I rarely take over 4 rods at a time.

As for reels ... I have two Mitchell 308X spinning reels, two Shimano Spirex 2000's, and two Shakespeare UL's ... but none of them are on matching rods. All of the reels are matched to their rod (for balance) and for the primary methods those rods are being used.

Some anglers like to have all their outfits be matching pairs/types ... so that they don't have to think about how they work, feel, or handle. Some have them for specific methods, like spider rigging & other trolling methods.

What you may need to think about, is HOW you're going to be fishing. What technique/method are you most likely to employ ... and what outfit(s) would be most efficient & cost effective to allow you to use those methods ?? Tell us that, and a ballpark figure for your budget ... and I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions on what rods/reels/lines would work for you.

... cp :kewl

shipahoy41
12-22-2012, 06:56 AM
I pretty much stick with B-n-M or Ugly Stick rods. Been fishing them for a mighty mighty long time and they have never failed me yet.