Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever build their own pontoon?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone ever build their own pontoon?

The more I look, the more aggravated (discouraged probably a better word) I get in finding the "perfect" set-up (boat, watercraft, however you want to say it. I'd toyed with the thoughts of a small pontoon for years, but there's that hauling/launching issue, so it's been pretty much forgotten. I like that type platform, stability with a bit of room to move-around, including standing-up.

Just for S&G's, I've been looking around on the internet at smaller pontoons, and wondered why nobody has ever marketed one that "knocks-down"? Each float tube comes off, and the deck comes off in 1 or 2 sections (depending on size). I'm half tempted to see what I could come-up with (on paper) to do just that. I'd seen a guy who sectioned and formed large PVC pipe pipe to make his own tubes, and somewhere came-up with a chart that calculates the flotation capacity of different diameters:

Name:  Heat-shaped_primed.jpg
Views: 36218
Size:  35.9 KB

RebelCat - Flotation Chart

Here's more pics of forming the PVC Pipe:

RebelCat 4 Mire Pics

Just quickly guessing some weight, I figured 2-14" tubes would get me somewhere near where I wanted to be (weight capacity-wise), and 10' lengths would weigh around 50 pounds. So they'd be manageable to load on top the trailer, especially with the assistance of a boat winch.

If my deck was 6' wide by 8' long, that could easily be divided into 2 sections, and easily slid into the trailer.

I could add a seat in front (ditto on spider-rig holders), continue with my thoughts of front control/stick steer, and easily set 2 batteries in the rear corners, directly over each tube. Rigging would be a piece of cake, and setting in a true elevated seat which would be much easier to get up/down from would be a big help. Everything could be "modular" and simply plug into place for use, and unplug for knocking the boat down. Having a 6'X8' deck would put me in fishing heaven, even if it took 20-30 minutes to assemble/disassemble, and that's not to say a set of wheels couldn't be ratchet strapped under each corner of the tubes, a handle clipped on the front, and pulled by hand (though that would depend on terrain), or my scooter. Heck I could always strip-down a riding mower and put a 2" ball on the back

Then again, there's always this option

Picasa Web Albums - Bob Edmiston

What says ye? Doable? (The 1st one, not the one the one in the last pic, lol)

Something more along these lines (The Scout Model):

Mini Pontoon Boat | Small Pontoon Boat - Pond King
    Apple Pie ProStaff

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep have thought about it many times, and what to use. But if I was to build something, it would load onto either a boat trailer, deck would be 16 ft long, or if smaller a utility trailer. Would not make one, that you could take apart, mainly because your compromising it's strength. Would not want it to fail, and end up being in the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm talking a small one, electric TM only (or a very small-2-3HP outboard). It could easily be made sturdy and still come apart (again, small scale). I can't trailer one, hence the consideration for building one.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

check out Blackhawk19's mini-toon (hestiant to call it that), but its not a knock down/throw it in the trailer toon either. He's from LA (lower Alabama), can find him in the AL forums.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Check this out.... I keep waffling between this and the NuCanoe F12.

Hydro Sport 2 Pontoon Boats

Post Thanks / Like

I'd actually run-across that one yesterday. It's a knock-down, but I'd like to have something just a bit bigger, and I'm guessing I could have bigger for less money building a DIY. I haven't really given it a lot of thought, but I might do a bit of figuring and try to get some sort of cost figured-out.

Check-out the bottom link in my OP, it reads like the smaller one (Rebel) will knock-down.

The 14″ powder coated pontoons slide into the deck, enabling it to fit easily in the back of any standard truck bed.
    It's 25 pounds lighter, but only 400 lbs cap vs the one you'd posted (450), but it's $500 cheaper too.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the toons slide in under the deck, making it narrower for transport. The blunt fronts will make it less hydrodynamic and use up battery quicker.

Heres a smaller option >>> Hydrosport 1 <<<

100 lb weight... 500 lb capacity 4 ft wide up to a 55 lb trolling motor.

You can get the toons and cross tubes from >>>hydrobikeparts.com<<< $169 each for the toons.

Post Thanks / Like

That last one's gettin' a bit too small for me I'm looking for something more along the "2 man" lines, even though I'd be using it alone, I just want more deck area, and more stability in the water.

Just did some quick figures, looked-up some stuff online, which I could do "better" (on prices) I'm sure, and whipped-up a MS Paint "Artists Rendering" . I figured I could build it totally rigged with good electronics ($500) a TM (with DIY remote-steer/controls), dual batteries, and a 4-rod spider-rigging system for well under $2500 (and I figured $2150, but will round-up). I subtracted the TM, 2-batteries, and electronics, and figure I can build just the pontoon, ready to float for $1500 (and likely a few hundred $ less, actually came-up with $1250).

That's not bad considering I figured I'd be spending in excess of $2K on the NuCanoe and rigging it. Each component of the pontoon would weigh less than the NC bare-bones.

"If" I did build one, I'd modify the front of the PVC tubes differently than the link I posted (see pic). I'd leave them round, and angle (french/baloney cut, however you want to call it) cut the front of the tubes, then cap the ends flat, but at a good taper upwards (so no flat ends like you mentioned entering the water).

Looks like it's a pretty do-able project (with more research of course), and I'd have all Spring/Summer to do it, but the best thing would be end-up with something I wanted from the get-go, and not modifying something "close" to what I want.

Also, once I park (the bus) somewhere, I generally don't move for a fair amount of time, so it's not like I'd be assembling/knocking-down daily.

Name:  Pontoon1.jpg
Views: 8776
Size:  19.7 KB

Name:  Pontoon2.jpg
Views: 8689
Size:  4.9 KB
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Consider expanding foam filler for the toons?

Here was what I was working up a couple years ago building off the hydrobike pontoons and cross bars.

Name:  Toon_Side.jpg
Views: 8876
Size:  7.7 KBName:  Toon_Perspective.jpg
Views: 9847
Size:  16.1 KB
    Name:  Toon_Top.jpg
Views: 9304
Size:  16.5 KBName:  Toon_Front.jpg
Views: 8674
Size:  10.9 KBName:  Toon_Back.jpg
Views: 8542
Size:  11.1 KB
    Last edited by Chasing Ghosts; 12-21-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not really (yes, but no), just added weight, and if I ever spring a leak, I'm just goin' down with the ship

I'd have concern over the short attachment points allowing the tubes to "rack". I was thinking a "rail" the same length as the deck attached to the tube, and then an angle on the bottom of the decking for about 6-8 bolts (plastic knobs for no tools required) on each side. Then they can't rack, and with 3/4" decking, it could be moved (assembled) without concern of falling apart.

I probably wouldn't do rails, but might possibly in the future (if in fact I decide to build one) maybe 6' long x 30" tall fixed, and just plug them in to 2-3 sockets on the deck.

You should reconsider building...why didn't you?
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast