Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to mount spidder rig rod holder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where to mount spidder rig rod holder

Hi,
    I will soon be placing an order for some rod holders for my first attempt at spider rigging. Now I need some advice on how to position them in my boat.

For the front of the boat I intend to place rigging for 4 rods on one rod holder. For the rear I will either use 1 rod holder that will hold 4 rods or 2 rod holders (one for each side) that will hold 2 rods each.

I have attached a picture of the back of my boat with an arrow indicating where I am thinking about placing the rod holder(s). What do you think about 1 four rod holder vs 2 two rod holders, on separate sides, in the back?

I have also attached two pictures of the front deck of my boat with an arrow indicating where I am thinking about placing that rod holder.

I do not want to mount the rod holders on the gunnels of the boat so they will need to be placed on the front and back decks.

This is all new to me so please feel free to offer any suggestions you may have. You guys know a lot more about this type of fishing than I do, so I am depending on you offering me your points of view. I am not locked into any placements so we are starting with a clean slate.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Charlie
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would place front one in 1'st position as close to centerline of boat as possible taking into account launching and retrieving trolling motor. Might have to rotate T bar so make sure you have room. Unless you want to mont and dismount every time you do anything with troller. On back I would mount 2 holders one on either side. Get a much better spread across back whether spider rigging or long lining.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

make sure the TM will clear the rod holder which ever way you go by deploying and stowing the TM BEFORE you start drilling. I mounted a 2 rod holder on the bow of my Tracker, does not interfere with the TM and don't have to move/rotate the rod holder either. I only use 2 rods (lazy) and longline 99% of the time, I can LL from the front or back of the boat as I have a 4 rod holder mounted where the rear elevated seat mount is.

I would go fishing in the garage or back yard, sit in the boat, and see what works for you by moving the rod holders around, deploying the TM, see if you can reach all the rods as needed, go thru every motion you can think of as if you were out on the water. That way you'll have a better chance of getting it right the first time. since you don't have carpet, the holes will show from that 1st attempt.

I know you stated you did not want to mount the holder on the gunnel, but consider that location on the bow by just placing the holder up there and see how it works, you may or may not like it. The rods are out front where they need to be, won't take up floor space, etc.

Better order an Ipilot as well. LOL
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Any other suggestions?

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

One caution on mounting on the gunnels. I have several welded mounts for driftmasters on my tracker and I have just added base mounts inside the boat for 2 3-rod setups on the front. On several occasions when I was trying to manuver the boat along a dock or pier to tie it up, one of the holders on the gunnel hung up on the pier or cross boards. Just have to be careful if they are sitting our beyond the edge of your boat. I have bent a couple of holders when the wind blew the boat into the dock and the holder hung up on it.
    On the front I would lean toward mounting it further to the right like your second picture, cause I think once you get into it, you gonna want another set on the other side for more rods. And as said earlier, try deploying the TM and reseating to make sure it will clear the holders.
    Good luck however you decide.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You have good info so far. Were it mine, I would mount one four rod holder to the right of the front hatch. The position you indicated for the rear will work, one base on either side. The baseplate for the hi-tek rod holders I have would not be in the way with the holder removed, don't know which one you plan on using. I find them the most user friendly and very well made. You're gonna like it when you're done.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Mount them on the same deck the seat is mounted on and place
    them where you can easily reach every rod without haveing to lean way over or stretch to do so.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    You have good info so far. Were it mine, I would mount one four rod holder to the right of the front hatch. The position you indicated for the rear will work, one base on either side. The baseplate for the hi-tek rod holders I have would not be in the way with the holder removed, don't know which one you plan on using. I find them the most user friendly and very well made. You're gonna like it when you're done.
    I have about decided that the hi-tek is my best choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thanks for everyone's advice. My biggest fear is that I will buy the racks and not be able to position, the front racks, effectively and regret ever purchasing them. I am thinking what I might do is construct something out of wood with the hi-tek dimensions and position it in several places on the front of the boat to make sure I can position the rods to reach at least in a 45 degree spread on each side of the center line of the boat. Then make sure that I can get the hand controlled trolling motor in and out without interference.

I have spent hours looking at posts in this forum looking for pictures of the rod rack positioning. The problem I am having is I have found no pictures of boats that have hand controlled trolling motors. If anyone has a spider rig rack mounted on the front of a boat, with hand controlled trolling motor, it would be appreciated if you could post a picture it for me.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and I hope y'all had a great Christmas.

Charlie

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

From where you showed the front set to be positioned, I believe that you will get a good spread from that spot. The end of the holder might be a little close. And there's a learning curve to getting used to them. I started with 1 set and really didn't need the others but got them anyway. If things are busy, 3 or 4 rods are all you can stand to keep up with. I have used as many as 8, and you really cant see all the rods without looking like you're at a tennis match and the result is missed fish. The bead between the first and second guide idea is a good one, but i haven't had the time to try it yet. The fishing trip in the yard thing is how I set mine up. What I thought would work from outside the boat didn't work when I got in the seat. Call Scott and get em in your hands and then positioning is easy after that.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast