Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jiggin' at Night?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jiggin' at Night?

I've been thinking about trying something during those few days a month when the full moon is shining on a clear sky. I was wondering how effective jiggin' submerged brushpiles would be.

I know the full moon is not the best time to try to use the lights to attract the shad and crappie so why couldn't a person vertical fish brushpiles with minnows or dark colored jigs.

I always watch my graph anyway and feel what my jig is doing down there and I think the bright moonlight will help me to see my marker bouy and inside my boat.

I would think the crappie would still be around the brushpiles but located more towards the top of them to ambush baitfish.

If anybody has ever done this or have any comments please jump in!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know why it wouldnt work. I threw a black beetle spin last Saturday night while we were chasing jugs on Ouachita with limited success. I think if I had fished my condos or other areas that I am familiar with I would have done better. In fact we are planning to do the same thing and targeting crappie the next full moon.

One thing you need to pick up if you are using marker bouys at night is chem lights. I bought a 15 pack of 8 inch glow bracelets for a buck at the Dollar Tree in Bryant. We just attach them to a bouy or jug with a rubber band and snap em to get em activated. There is not a place on Nimrod you could put them and not see em from across the lake.

Keep us posted on your success. You may have found a new form of nightsalking.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Its worth a try

In my limited experience I have found that jigging at night can be productive. However when the moon is full NOOOOOOOOO LUCKKKKKKKKK.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just drop a light out anyway. Then you will catch fish anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I almost alwayse at least give a jig a try before anything else, but night time I use minnows quite a bit.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

In the last few months, I have taken my minnow bucket out of my boat and have used nothing but jigs at night. We have been vertical fishing dropoffs with green lights. I think you may be on to something. Think about it....Do fish really need a light in the water in order to eat? No, they feed out of necessity and opportunity. If something swims by feeding fish that looks like food, they will try to eat it regardless of time of day. Don't be afraid to try the same colors that work during the day...after all a minnow still looks like a minnow at night.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

"Do fish really need a light in the water in order to eat? No, they feed out of necessity and opportunity."
    I think you are probably right on this point. BUT.....the light creates THE spot, as it draws the "plankton" which in turn draws the baitfish, which in turn should draw the target fish........maybe. ;-)
    .....lee s.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is I started fishing at night just about 1970 for Bass and me and my friend had the entire lake to ourselves back then. Never use a light and just troll motored around fishing with black worms and did very well. I also know they will just kill a spinner bait fished slow.

So why would crappie need a light? Probably don't, but it does draw in the bait fish and the bait fish make the crappie turn on after a time. I don't think the light has much to do with them as much as just feeding time. I think the light is what will draw them to you from some distance away.

I have also caught crappie wile fishing for bass with a black spinnerbait and no lights.

Maybe it's time to try without a light on a full moon night.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Last month's full moon we trolled jigs and had good success. Acid rain color was best.
    Caught brim too.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had some success with small tubes on full moons but larger baits (even black ones) haven't produced quite as well. I went last night at dusk (30 mins or less of daylight left) and caught a .5# bass on UL gear with a saftey pin spinner. I also like just putting a 1/16th jighead with that on the end of my line and jigging it to be successful. Love the full moon lighting on the pond I fish but the new moon has been my best time to go fishing period, now if I can remember where I put that darn flashlight!

the next generation of slabhunters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast