Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driftmaster vs Hi-Tek rod holders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driftmaster vs Hi-Tek rod holders

Hey guys,
    I am trying to get my boat set up for spider rigging and have searched this forum for hours on end and my eyes are about to cross. Maybe I have gotten too much information. Anyway, from my research it seems that while there appear to be a lot of good rod holder systems out there, the two that I hear recommend most are the Driftmaster and the Hi-Tek systems. I would appreciate some advise from those of you who have used either or both of these rod holders. What I want to know is which one you prefer AND why you prefer it.

I have a glass boat that I intend to put one 4 rod system in the front of the boat and one 3 rod system in the back of the boat. I have never owned a spider rigging system.

I have learned a great deal from this forum and look forward to your suggestions.

Tight lines.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Why only one set up front, do you fish alone alot??
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a lot of different holders. I have now had my hi-teks for 8 yrs and have had no problem with them at all. They are very well built and very strong. I spider rig. Long line and pull crank baits with the holders knock on wood have not lost a rod yet. They are very easy to adjust and once adjusted they stay where you want them some of the holders I had would vibrate running from spot to spot and I would have to re-adjust. Hi-tek is a great product and Scoot is a great guy to deal with . I think you will be very pleased with the hi-tek holders.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used both and I prefer the Hi-Teks.....they are stronger as the top bar is solid aluminum bar instead of a hollow tube. they adjust easy and they hold there adjustment. They are also quicker to get your rod out of when makeing quick hook sets. They are not near as bulky. The remove from there bases easily......they are all aluminum so they are light in weight yet strong and will not rust.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Have them both on my boat and there is no comparison HiTec hands down. Not obtrusive at all, easy to get rod out of and cheaper.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

i have used both had the driftermasters first . i did not like them and then went to the hi-teks so don't do like i did and buy twice but the hi-tecs you will be glad you did !!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the attwood brand. They look just like the driftmasters. You don't have to worry about losing a rod with these. But, like the others have said sometimes its not easy to get the rod out of it. Especially when you get one hung up. I would have bought the hi-teks, but i wasn't sure how well the rod would stay in trolling out of the back. Sounds like they work fine either way.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Been pulling crankbaits out the back for a number of years now.....never lost a pole with the Hi-Teks.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used several different types over the years. Hi-Teks is by far the best.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 9 bases and enough Hi-Teks to put 19 rods out of the boat. I have used others in my boat and others and find these the most user friendly. One tool does all the adjusting unlike others, one style takes 3 different tools. The wing nut versions don't tighten properly and I hear of folks having to go to regular hex nuts, undoing the tool free option. I believe you'll be pleased with the hi-tek. 2 for the front and 2 for the back, and a couple of extra bases will give you the versatility to put them in other places. My boat doesn't move without some of mine in the boat.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast