Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Velcro to hold transducer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Velcro to hold transducer?

Down the road a few miles is a great lake for crappie fishing. My problem is that this lake is a reservoir and no gas motors are permitted to be on the boat period. They also made it so you can't back your trailer into the water to unload.

I purchased a plastic 10' Pelican Bass Raider pontoon boat just for this little lake. The fishing is simply awesome! I'm set up with a 55lb Minn Kota motor and a good battery for this lake that stretches about 1 mile in length.

At the water line, they built a "wall" about 15" high to keep trailers out of the water. They also installed metal poles that stick up about 4 feet to keep the bigger boats from being launched there. From the top of this "wall" is a fiberglas ramp that will allow you to back up to the wall, and slide your boat down into the water. This is the only launch on the lake. It's a huge pain in the rear...but the fishing is great, it's close to home, and the lake isn't fished much at all.

Heres my problem...

We used my cousins 16' flat bottom Lowe boat, and we knocked the transducer off of the boat on that stupid ramp. It killed the transducer and he got a new one. I purchased a Bottom Line fish finder, and the directions say that the transducer must be attached to the BOTTOM of the boat. I know that ramp will kill my transducer the first time I launch the boat.

I was thinking of using some type of epoxy to glue a velcro pad on the bottom of my boat. Then glue the other half of the velcro to the transducer. Once the boat is launched, I can reach down into the water and attach the transducer. Then remove it before cranking the boat back onto the little 4x8 utility trailer I use to haul it.

Anyone got any ideas? I was thinking perhaps I should have went with a Bottom Line Fishin' Buddy of some type. Are they any good? I don't want to spend a lot of cash on a fish finder for this little red-neck crappie rig.

I would love some ideas on how to install a fish finder on this plastic boat.

Thanks
    BUCKMARK

Post Thanks / Like

buckmark is there anyway you can atach it to the trolling motor,i got a large 6" hose clamp and mounted mine on the bottom of mine when i need to put it back on my big boat just loosen the clamp slip it off put it on the other boat

Post Thanks / Like

When I fished down at Reelfoot last year they put there transducer to apiece of pvc pipe and would slide it in to the through a clamp on the front of the boat. My partners son-in-law had his set up and man it worked great. Quick in and out. May want to talk to a couple of those Tennesse boyz they may ba able to help you out. Good luck.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for some ideas guys.

I found that Bottom Line makes some sort of trolling motor mount, but they don't show a picture and I can't locate one for sale. I should contact them tomorrow and find out if I can buy one straight from the factory.

I also like the idea about the PVC pipe with the transducer on the bottom. I never thought about something like that. I got the idea, I just need to draw one up. This idea sounds like a trip to the hardware store! I can see me and the guys in the garage drinking a ice cold Yuengling Lager and talking about how well it's gonna work when and if we ever finish it. I like it!

Thanks again,
    BUCKMARK

Post Thanks / Like

I have something like what is described. Another thought is to put the transducer on your trolling motor with a hose clamp..Then it is only in the water when the TM is. They have kits for this set up but it is essentially an expensive hose clamp.

Good Luck

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about the suction cup transducer mount that comes with the portable models? I use one when i rent a boat and take my locater with me. Just reach down and push it in place after launching.

Post Thanks / Like

You are not talking about mounting the transducer directly to the bottom of your boat hull instead of to the transom are you ???????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ky-slabseeker
    You are not talking about mounting the transducer directly to the bottom of your boat hull instead of to the transom are you ???????

Yes sir.

The directions for this transducer shows it mounted on the bottom of the hull.
    I ordered this unit and didnt know what I had until I opened it up. I'll try to post a pic, and you can see what I'm up against. Perhaps I should consider a different model...but this unit was in the right price range.

Post Thanks / Like

All you need for the trolling motor mount is a radiator hose clamp and use electrical tie wraps to secure the wire to you troll motor shaft. That is with a puck tranducer.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK
    Yes sir.

The directions for this transducer shows it mounted on the bottom of the hull.
    I ordered this unit and didnt know what I had until I opened it up. I'll try to post a pic, and you can see what I'm up against. Perhaps I should consider a different model...but this unit was in the right price range.
    I would be worried about some type of structure hitting the transducer. The lake I fish has tree tops of which some are above the water line but some are just an inch or two below it.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast