Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone running a small outboard on their 2 man boats?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone running a small outboard on their 2 man boats?

I have a couple of trips planned early next year over in Ark to the White River (Bull Shoals) and to the Spring River to try a little trout fishing. I am thinking about taking my Baby Bass Hunter with me in my toyhauler camper to try and use a little if the current isn't running too swiftly at the time. Just curious what kind of speed you get out of yours running a 2 or 3 hp outboard. I know my boat with a 40lb Minn Kota on #5 setting starts splashing some water over the front in a little wave action. Trying to figure out if it is going to run fast enough to push me back up river if I go down stream a little ways. Mine is only rated for 2hp and I have found some screaming deals on new Merc, Yamaha, and Suzuki 2.5's.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure this helps, but I've been doing a bit of reading recently related to TM's and Kayaks, and have seen "claims" of around 6MPH (GPS) with a #55 thrust (which is about 3/4 HP) on some (kayaks). I'd have to think you could approach double-digits if the hull (bow) allowed it with a 2HP.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMoon View Post
    Not sure this helps, but I've been doing a bit of reading recently related to TM's and Kayaks, and have seen "claims" of around 6MPH (GPS) with a #55 thrust (which is about 3/4 HP) on some (kayaks). I'd have to think you could approach double-digits if the hull (bow) allowed it with a 2HP.
    I can get 3.7 with my 40lb currently. Would rather have a gas motor to push upstream however!! A little research earlier showed the current between 4-5 mph with all Generators running at Bull Shoals dam.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used my 3hp johnson for a long time as a spare incase my battery goes dead and at the end of the day motor back to dock. but make sure you put on the boat and see how it sets as I had to build my transom up

Post Thanks / Like

tnrvrluvr, Where are the deals on the 2.5's??

Post Thanks / Like

bfish posted this in a recent thread here:

2012 Gas Powered 2.5 HP 2-Stroke Trolling Motor
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sharphook View Post
    tnrvrluvr, Where are the deals on the 2.5's??
    Just bought the last Mercury on Ebay at this price ($750 shipped!) Another seller has many for $789 plus Suzuki and Yamaha's for about the same. I tend to stick with Merc 4 strokes just because of my local dealers great warranty service if needed.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/390472025017...84.m1423.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/230841600907...84.m1423.l2649
    One I boughthttp://www.ebay.com/itm/230841600907?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/170844527756...84.m1423.l2648
    Last edited by tnriverluver; 12-20-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Did run across this video of a 2.5 on some type of two man boat. Pushes this boat pretty good. Bass Hunter Hulls are a little different though 2.5 mercury outboard - YouTube