Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: carpet or ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default carpet or ???

its time for some new carpet in the ol triton. i wanna do it myself but i also dont want it to look like crap! while talkn to my brother about it, his idea was to put down a non skid type surface that some flats boats have rather than carpet. didnt like the idea much at first but the more i thought about it the more i started liking it. there are pros and cons to both and some i prob havent thought about yet. thats where u guys come in. anyone ever done this?????

Post Thanks / Like

I recently refurbished my aluminum boat and used vinyl flooring in it. I really do like it and it's easier to lay than carpet. At least I think it is.

I only fish on days of the week that end with
    a "Y" ...and then, only if it's raining or not.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Dandeman. I had a similar experience, I took out the old carpet and painted the wood (replaced some of it) in my aluminum boat with non-skid gray paint. I'm not much for detail work--don't have all the skills necessary. So, mine came out just fine for me, but a better job could be done. Bottom line, I have not had to do any work on the boat since I painted it a year ago and I'm h-a-p-p-y.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Post Thanks / Like

I did my with valspar porch paint with non skid grit added. Tired of carpet will just paint again when needed instead of having to tear up the old carpet and redoit. Got 2yrs of hard use and a labrador retriever in it still good so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently finished restoring my flats skiff, and went with a product called KiwiGrip. It's only been about 6 months, but so far I am liking it a lot. It's water based, so clean up is easy. It's about the consistency of toothpaste, and is applied with a small toothed trowel, like you would use for tile. You then go back over it with the special roller they provide to give it the desired texture.
    Here is a link to a tutorial on the technique.
    shop clip #8 kiwigrip application - YouTube

Here are the results on my skiff

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had both. The flooring is easier to clean & take care of.

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EricY View Post
    I recently finished restoring my flats skiff, and went with a product called KiwiGrip. It's only been about 6 months, but so far I am liking it a lot. It's water based, so clean up is easy. It's about the consistency of toothpaste, and is applied with a small toothed trowel, like you would use for tile. You then go back over it with the special roller they provide to give it the desired texture.

Hope that helps.
    How much did you use for your boat? How did you get those uniform and clean lines? Masking tape and a razor?

Eagle 1 is online now Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Much easier than carpet . I pressure wash mine .thought you could see more . the low deck has the same as the back section .Name:  Video 30 0 00 00-01.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  38.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EricY View Post

Hope that helps.
    Your boat does look good! one part i am wondering about, my lids are not painted, they have always been covered by carpet. Will this stuff take the wear and tare of opening and closing without rubbing off??

Post Thanks / Like

I guess im a wheeny, i like carpet. Me and my wife like to take our shoes off while fishing in the summer. Carpet is more work and probably more expensive but its what we like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast