Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Been away 'Gill Hunting!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Been away 'Gill Hunting!

Man, I ripped them up in the RAIN this afternoon. I took out my 7'6" Cabelas SA 3wt outfit and some water spiders I had the LFS (local fly shop) tie for me on a 5x tippet and caught bluegills, largemouth, and green sunfish from a spot of shoreline about 45' long with no real cover. I had a couple 6" gills, the bass was 8" long, and the greenies were between 4-6.5" long and FAT.

It was really hard to see the spider when it was raining HARD, but I stayed till I could not see across the pond. I caught about 15-20 fish in about 50 minutes.

They just blew up on it and allowed me the unique pleasure of catching the most overlooked fish in the world.
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to believe some folks would rather fight it out in the concrete jungles and shopping malls across America

I'm with you... I'll take a pond any day.

Post Thanks / Like

Pond, small stream, if it has panfish in it, I am there!
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Andy, when you say water spiders, are you talking about foam type Spongy Spiders with rubber legs? Yep. That'll do it :D.

Next time you go to that fly shop, tell them you want them to tie those spiders with a little bit of some bright red yarn on the top of the spider so you can spot it easier on the water .
    Last edited by dixieangler; 07-11-2006 at 10:55 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Would putting a drop of red nail polish on it work? Tryin to save some money.

Post Thanks / Like

Sound like you had a good time. Try tying a little piece of red thread.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea how to tie, so I asked her if she could when I need more, and she is going to do a small orange parachute on them. Thanks for everything guys. I appreciate all the help!

On a side note, I went back today after a torrential downpour last night, and caught one 7" gill in about an hour...I was more interested in practice casting and trying to hook short biters.
    Andy