Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on a fly rod and reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on a fly rod and reel

I have a fly rod that has no markings, fiberglass, 3 sections, 9 feet long, and has the reel holder section 90 degress out of alignment of the rod eyes. The rear part of the reel holder is spring loaded, I tried (not hard) to rotate the section but it would not budge. Just wondered if anyone has an idea about it. The reel question, it was not on the rod, may have been at one time, I don't know, but it is made by Shakespeare and has "Automatic" on it, model 1822, any clues about this either. Thanks.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be guessing but the handle may separate from the rod. Many of the old rods were made like this. If so there will be a medal ring at the top of the handle and the first section will have a medal piece (ferrule) that go into the handle.
    Could you post a pic of the rod, may help someone put a name to the rod. I have a Higgins that has a spring loaded rear reel holder.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the pics
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355802300.414058.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  44.8 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355802320.365113.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  38.4 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355802342.819636.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  46.2 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355802359.695567.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  36.2 KB

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The ring needs to be turned to line up the seat with the eyes. You may be able to turn the ring with the reel in the seats. Some of the other guys will know more about this and I'm sure they will let you know what to do. The rod may be a Shakespeare Wonder Rod ? Just looking at what I can see
    That is an old Shakespeare reel. The rod and reel could have been a combo.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you're not gonna try to fish with that thing.

Post Thanks / Like

No, it was just mixed in with all the rods and reels from my Grandfathers fishing equipment, just curious about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I was about to ask a question about the use of the automatic reels but I found a thread on here that stretched from June of 2010 to March of 2011 that throughly discussed it, it was interesting seeing all the comments about them. Thanks for all the info, I have no idea why my grandfather would have the rod and reel, he only fished for bream and crappie, wish he was still around so I could ask him.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Like stump hunter said you should be able to rotate the reel seat to align with guides. Might put a little penetrating oil around ring on front. Have a Reel just like that is on shelf in display case. Grandfather gave it to me when I was about 8 learned to fly fish with it. It was given to him with a bunch of other fishing stuff by our church when he retired in 1952 or 53. learned to fish at his side.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by japhill View Post
    ... I have no idea why my grandfather would have the rod and reel, he only fished for bream and crappie ...
    The south has a long tradition of fly fishing for bream and crappie with automatic reels. I think this is covered in the other thread you mentioned, but an automatic reel freed up one hand to scull the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is an old thread but thought I would throw in two cents.
    Not sure if you found your answer yet, but do not try to turn the reel seat. That style of automatic reel was designed to sit on the side of the reel seat. That is why the trigger is mounted side ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast