HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: contour mold on or off humminbird 998

Post Thanks / Like

Default contour mold on or off humminbird 998

which is the better view

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it very interesting that in the first few years of SI there was a frequent reoccurance of people wanting to be able to "turn off the dark water column"...

Then, after HB finally released a software update to "turn off the dark water column" the Internet chatter was like....nill...nada...nothing....

I wonder if people realized that the water column gives more information than they we're willing to give up...just to see the bottom in 1 big unbroken image...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to agree with RNVINC, I thought I wanted the water column turned off, until I had the capability and then realized how much I had came to rely on that info.

Post Thanks / Like

It would have been interesting to see how well those baitfish at bottom of right side in water column would have showed up on second pic, either way ,i like water column
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

According to the pros, it's all about finding fish, so losing the water column on contour "mold" defeats the purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

Contour "mold" might be useful if you were makin somekind of map....I never use it....
    And...Sometimes I set the side image range real narrow to get that water column real wide on the screen...

Post Thanks / Like

Okay cut me a little slack cause this is all pretty new to me. But, just comparing the two pics above, what did you lose by eliminating the water column ? Personally, as a newbie to the technology, I like the lower pic with the bottom unbroken, and I don't see how seeing the water column benefits you... Atleast in this particular example. Thanks, and like I said, take it easy on me !! Ha !!

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arrookie View Post
    Okay cut me a little slack cause this is all pretty new to me. But, just comparing the two pics above, what did you lose by eliminating the water column ? Personally, as a newbie to the technology, I like the lower pic with the bottom unbroken, and I don't see how seeing the water column benefits you... Atleast in this particular example. Thanks, and like I said, take it easy on me !! Ha !!
    "Contour Mode" on is a great tool for helping in bottom interpretation ...but not so much for when looking for baitfish and suspended fish..

Baitfish and suspended fish are easy to decipher in the "dark water column"....because the white "echoes" stand out against the dark background...

These baitfish and suspended fish can be deciphered out farther into the SI image but they tend to "blend" in with the colored Pallete color chosen...making them harder to pick out...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 01-04-2013 at 09:40 AM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

What Rickie said, plus sometimes you can make them stand out better by adjustments to the color palette, sharpness, contrast and/or sensitivity.
    Team "Itch N 2 Fish"

Post Thanks / Like

Okay to ask this next question I have to make an assumption here: The assumption I am going to make is that in the above pic that shows the water column, I am going to assume that the specks that appear in the left hand side of water column are fish of some type. Either bait fish or game fish, but fish.

So if that assumption is correct. Can you guys that know what you're looking at see those same fish in the image below that does not include the water column ? Because I cannot, but it may be because I don't know what I am looking for to know whether I see them or not. Also, in the picture above with the water column, Genec referenced the school of baitfish in the lower right hand corner. I can see that school in the top pic with the water column. But, I cannot see them in the lower pic ? Are you guys able to see them in the lower pic ?

Just out of curiosity, is this an image of an old railroad ? Is that an old bridge structure of sometype on the right in the image ?

Sorry if all this seems elementary to you, but yet I am having a hard time with it. Like I said, this is all new to me, but I will have units capable of this in about 60 days, so I am trying to learn all I can until then !!

Thanks !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast